A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys it's been a while since I've been on here. Lost my license for 2 years :p Anyways...

I got the JWT BSR Kit and have all the tools i need to remove the balance shafts. Just to double check.

24 inch bolt cutters
E14 e torx socket
Permatex ultra Grey gasket maker
10mm offset wrench
And of course all my sockets and wrenches breaker bar etc

Here's my question for anyone who has done this mod. Is it able to be done with the car on a standard set of jack stands? My concern is not having enough room to work with. I don't have access to a lift but I do have ramps and jack stands.

Also any tips from you guys before I start this oh so fun project would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Registered
945 Posts
putting the jack stands behind the front tires where you would jack the car up from is a good spot. I usually use that point so I have plenty of room.. also use some type extra blocking, I don't trust those stands with my life.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Extra blocking on the stands? Like wood blocks? I just want to make sure I have plenty of room to do the job and also that car will be secure as I'm directly under it ha jack stands make me nervous

·
6,559 Posts
No need for the offset wrench. It's a pain in the ass just trying to line it up and to actually unbolt the tensioner. Since you're removing it, I'm going to assume that you won't need it anymore, so my suggestion is just to jam a screwdriver behind it and break the darn thing off. Then use a regular wrench to unbolt what's left of it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah that's actually what the one guy at 2j told me. He said it'll save me a lot of stress ha. My worry is that I've never had a car with balance shafts and I'm afraid to start something and not be able to finish it :/ it seems straightforward but I feel like I'm gonna get under there and be like wtf

·
6,559 Posts
The biggest pain is trying to line up the spacers for the baffles. I used some rtv and dab a bit just to "glue" them on the plates to make sure I bolt it up right. Next to that, is pulling out the actual assembly. You have to wiggle it and kinda play around it just to get it out of the pan.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yah I was wondering if I should use loctite on the spacers?

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
Extra blocking on the stands? Like wood blocks? I just want to make sure I have plenty of room to do the job and also that car will be secure as I'm directly under it ha jack stands make me nervous

moving under the car and then jerking on parts makes me nervous too

with the car on jackstands
i throw the wheels under the bus

if the jackstands move, better the wheels than me
imo

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's actually a good idea. Safety first! Just yesterday in the local paper a kid died working under his truck. fell right on top of him and crushed him.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I happened to have a few offset wrenches (different brand names) turns out 2 of them didnt really work while the third was perfect. If you do try to remove that stubborn bolt id suggest buying/borrowing a few different brands of offset wrenches cause they differ slightly from eachother.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do remember what type worked? I have a set from harbor freight

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
It was many many moons ago, I have no idea lol
I know I had some craftsmen and some cheap powerfist brand from princess auto (canada's harbor freight)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well if all else fails. I'll break that fool off. Lol. Did you do your balance shafts on stands? Lift? Any tips?

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I did it on stands, wasnt too bad. Just make sure to scrape off all the old sealant proper cause if it leaks you got to drain out all that new oil to repair and buy more. The oil pan bolts are small and the aluminum threads can be stripped easily as well so dont over tighten.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay. I picked up some permatex ultra grey. And do the bolts have a specific torque setting?

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Yah, should be in the factory service manual which you can find on here. My laptop took a shit so I cant look it up atm.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have the fsm actually didn't think to look in there lol. Can't wait to do this mod though. Also on the note of the vibrations is there any semi solid motor mounts for our cars? I know 2j have solid race ones but I feel that's going to make the vibrations insane.

·
Registered
443 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts