A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to replace all suspension items and do racelands, my control arm bushing look good but the ball joints look tire 103k, how hard would it be to just press out and in new ball joints, was looking rockauto mevotech but supreme line not cheaper line, along with the tie rod ends n stab links

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Ball joints aren't hard to press out as long as you have the right tools. You can rent a ball joint press from your local auto parts store. You will pretty much have to remove your wheel hub to replace the ball joint and do an alignment once it's all reassembled.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks figured that, but if i do it while doing racelands everything will already be apart, just gonna do it all only $90 for 2 ball joints,links,n tie rod ends all greasable

my boots on both joints are dry rotted ripped, car is pretty tight surprisenly, also just went back to stocker wheels with new tires that sat over a year and have a vibration a mild vibration that i didnt have before with old wheels and these wheels before, just took both fronts off and cleaned good between wheel mounting face and hub

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
thanks figured that, but if i do it while doing racelands everything will already be apart, just gonna do it all only $90 for 2 ball joints,links,n tie rod ends all greasable

my boots on both joints are dry rotted ripped, car is pretty tight surprisenly, also just went back to stocker wheels with new tire s that sat over a year and have a vibration a mild vibration that i didnt have before with old wheels and these wheels before, just took both fronts off and cleaned good between wheel mounting face and hub
Yes, doing all the suspension items at the same time is always a good idea. I would also recommend adding the ALKs to your list to get rid of the wheel hop.

The slight vibration could be due to how the tires were stored. If they were exposed to the elements for a year, they could be harder. Or they may just need rebalancing.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
already got 10mm alks n crossmember bushings, the tires were stored in a storage unit, 3 were on a pile and the 4th was standing on end which might of flat spotted, also could tell the rim was oxidizing a little on inside and mounting face, seems a lil better today since cleaning those surfaces but not perfect

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
You don't need to remove the hub to do the ball joints. Rent the tool and get Moog ones, along with Moog tie rods (inner and outer) and sway bar end links.
My error. Meant the spindle and hub assembly.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You don't even need a tool to press them in and out if your a old hand.....

Here's a tip that almost no one knows.

Remove retaining ring, put the nut back on, wack the hell out of it with a short sledge.

Presto it's out.

Here's the trick no one knows ;-)

Freeze the new ones overnight. When you're done hurry the hell up and put it in the control arm and lightly wack the bottom of it a couple times and it goes right in.

Only take one ball joint out of the freeze at once and do it one at a time.

Presto no ball joint press but still new ball joints. And shhh dnt tell anyone else lmao.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Make sure when you wack the new ones do it somewhat lightly and make sure the retaining ring notch is high enough for install. Also you will probably need a floor jack to raise the control arm enough so it won't move as you wack the new joint from the bottom. Don't Jack it too hard and bend the arm though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts