A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would cause the battery and brake light to come on for a second or two then go out. This has happened maybe 4 times so far. There is no certain time or anything I can tell that would trigger this. I called myself checking for a loose ground on the alternator. I did have trouble tightening the positive clamp on the battery, I had to bend it a little for it to stay put. There was no way to actually tighten it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Probly an actual drop in voltage from the alternator going bad.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not what I wanted to hear but I did suspect that. Now that you mentioned there being a power drop, I did notice the dash lights dim a little when the battery light came on. The dash light sorta got a little dim them bright then oscillated a little then the battery light went out the dash light stabilized back to normal.

Now I got to figure out which alternator I have, the one for a SE R Spec V is different from an Altima and since there are Altima and SE R parts mixed, I really don't know.

I appreciate your help Sus Spec, thanks a lot.

Jim

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mac, I appreciate your reply. I will agree, it does sound like the alternator. The Spec V is really bad on alternators being it is so close to the exhaust manifold, some alternators on the Spec V have caught fire because they get so hot.

I checked, the alternators are different on the Spec V vs the Altima and of course they are higher also on the Spec V.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mac, I appreciate your reply. I will agree, it does sound like the alternator. The Spec V is really bad on alternators being it is so close to the exhaust manifold, some alternators on the Spec V have caught fire because they get so hot.

I checked, the alternators are different on the Spec V vs the Altima and of course they are higher also on the Spec V.
I found the problem of the battery light and brake light coming on then going out. The nut that connects the actual battery cable to the clamp on the positive side of the battery, that is under the plastic cover was loose. I tightened that and the light went out completely. That sure makes me a happy camper. I did a complete test of the battery and alternator and neither one of them came up bad. My next move was to check all the grounds but found the loose nut on the positive battery cable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts