A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched from Koni/GCs to BC Racing this year and its a huge difference. These came with custom valving/spring rates for less than $1000.

Granted I'm running on Hoosier R6s, but you can see how well the car sticks. Anyone who is looking to have a decent ride and great track performance, check out BC.

Enjoy

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
That is one bad ass car & set up:) I've been spreading the word on BC coilovers. Did you fix the coolant issues yet?

·
Registered
80 Posts
nice run. cant wait till i can get on a track someday. how come u were passing other cars like they were sittin still? not to take away from ur skill, cuz u seem like u know what u are doin. are they in a bigginer class and/or just taking it easy?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Joe, this is David Escobar. I'm eventually going to take your offer and switch over to the BC's, hopefully sooner rather than later (it all depends on how much money I end up saving).

It was a blast riding with you on track... did you get my email, by the way? Sorry for the late response on it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
LOL it doesnt matter. I had to do the same thing for my MINI Cooper. We just hack out the top mounts.
Thanks for the picture I have the car myself.

Troll from Ksport. LOL does that mean Ksport has plates?

·
Registered
29 Posts
why would I bash on one cheap brand to promote another. Anyways I'm looking to get the BC's there arent too many options for these cars to begin with. Also I revalve my own shocks so the cheapest would work. I'll re-shim and dyno the shock. to at least square them off. By the way flaming the moment you assume I dont know what Im talking about doesnt promote your sales in BC coilovers.
So tell me why BC's are better than Ksport.

Anyways more pictures of modifying.
Project S13 Nissan 240SX ? Part 3 ? Unsideways Track Suspension - The Octane Report

Why would I be considered a dumbass for asking for camber plates.
If it's a macpherson strut suspension they should just come with camber plates. If people dont want to modify the top mounts then just set it at zero and then install it. But if there isnt a camber plate then the only way of adjusting camber is through extending the lca. This type of suspension already has problems with camber.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
no, BC don't come with camber plates.

Plus most Sentra owners would be scared to, or wouldn't know how to cut a strut tower. If you coming into Sentras from another platform, you'll figure it out.

Ksport was a "sponsor" for 2009, I won't go into detail just because discretion is sometimes the best policy, but they will never have a product on our race cars. We don't like them, and we think it's mutual :)

BC on the other hand has been phenomenal, both product and support wise, and their business practices are, from our experience as a winning race team, one of the reasons we run and will continue to run their products. They offer custom valving matched to spring rates on an order to order basis, so if you are looking to get what you NEED, you can.Their parts and support are one of the reasons our car continues to be competitive even as we continue to push the car harder and harder, and develop it more and more.

We've had to do a lot to get the geometry where it needs to be, but, that's that case with most cars when you want them to do more than get groceries.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Their custom valving??
Look to be completely honest I have done several shocks here and I have a shock dyno. I can assure you unless you matched the shocks yourself the shocks are not custom valved.....
no wait......let me rephrase that.

Now they might have custom valved it but they will still loosely do it because I know they do not have a revlave kit nor do they have a shock dyno at their location. Just because the shocks have the same shimstack does not mean they will dyno out the same.
I have talked to them before and I am almost positive that they do not have the facilities to revalve the shock. I wanted to buy a revalve kit from them before and they told me that they do not have them. Now they might in taiwan but Im not sure. One way to find out for sure is if it took a while to get this revalved setup. If it took only a couple of days then they must have swapped shocks with a shock that was meant for a heavier car and stuck it into your kit, if they swapped it at all. Most these suspension manufacturers have this assumption that the end user does not know how to feel for a good shock.
Now all of this is assumed but I am almost positive.

Did the revalved kit come with dyno sheets. Prob not. Now if they did then I appologize and you do not need to read anymore, but I have worked with a good amount of them to know that if your kit did not come with 4 dyno sheets 1 for each shock then your shocks are probably all going to have a different dyno number.

Now also you have to keep your eye on the shaft speed when when looking at the dyno charts if they are provided.

I can see that you do some serious work,so kudos to you, but your cheaping out on your suspension with these shocks. Well not so much with these shocks but more not revalving these shocks. I have a ton of excess parts from other shocks that I have left over and because BC uses a metric shock cylinder, you can fit a bilstein piston in their with different shims depending on what you are trying to do with the shock. I'm not saying they are shitty in any way. nor am I saying that you shouldn't use them... hell I use them. But when I get them revalving them is the first thing that I do.

I change out the fluids to NEO shock oil (a reallly light weight) because I use the valving to make it react the way I would like. and then shim them, but because of the casting of the shims even when they are revalved they dyno differently so I either clean up the pistons castings or swap pistons with bilstein or penske.
Then I get them as close as I can on the dyno and I am good to go.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I may get with you in the off season. I do what I do well, but I also know where my skill set ends. What you do is out of my realm.

I need to keep tweaking the car and make the changes that need to be made before I decide if we need more spring. We're running 10k springs now and we might need to go a little higher, but IDK until I do a few more things.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've set up many different shocks from drag race, formula cars, circle track, and of course I do my own road cars as well. LOL. My car is obviously just a hobby.

Anyways just pm if you have any questions or if you need anything.

O heres a biggie, when you have a chance take a look at this. makes a big difference.
MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - Swift Springs dynoed
How to Finally Get Performance Out of Your KW Coilovers - E46Fanatics

There both small write ups I did and through testing this is simply what I found. Anyways if your looking to improve this is what I think works better than anything else out on the market right now.

·
BDSF
11,451 Posts
I've set up many different shocks from drag race, formula cars, circle track, and of course I do my own road cars as well. LOL. My car is obviously just a hobby.

Anyways just pm if you have any questions or if you need anything.

O heres a biggie, when you have a chance take a look at this. makes a big difference.
MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - Swift Springs dynoed
How to Finally Get Performance Out of Your KW Coilovers - E46Fanatics

There both small write ups I did and through testing this is simply what I found. Anyways if your looking to improve this is what I think works better than anything else out on the market right now.
Wow, great articles.

You wouldn't by chance have a hookup on those swift springs, would you? :)

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If people dont want to modify the top mounts then just set it at zero and then install it. But if there isnt a camber plate then the only way of adjusting camber is through extending the lca. This type of suspension already has problems with camber.
I still dont think you understand what you are saying. The lack of technical knowledge about the car, suspension geometry and how BC manufactures their coilovers is clear. Sort of remind me of Will P

I apologize about the dumbass comment. After reading about you asking for an OEM bumper that was only available on the 02-03 and then making the comment about camber plates on a shock tower with less than .5" of clearance. These are very basic questions that shouldnt need to be asked.

I'm not sure whether you met up with Edmun and snapped those pictures or how the article was written but by all means, swift is the way to go for one reason only, and thats to prevent binding.

Most coilovers use a "progressive style" of spring, which is called a linear step spring. It provides a far better ride than a pure linear spring. It is also the reason why your shock dyno article is flawed. BC has some progressive aspects in their springs. Switching to swift for flat out racing is recommended, and not as expensive as you suggested in your article. BC Racing can install swift springs for $125 each. For 95% of the folks who ride on BCs I dont suggest it. Even I dont need it.

By the way, you can adjust camber by moving the spindle, it's the easiest method on a Sentra. Not extending the LCA, which would rank as the most difficult, after cutting and reinforcing the shock towers like we did. BCs come with a slightly slotted spindle mount for camber.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Every order I sent BC that has a an increase of 4K comes straight from Taiwan to the customer. They are 100% revalved to match the spring. Call BC in Florida, speak to Mike or the owner, Pete.

I have sold nearly 20 sets of BCs, all custom. Not one person has ordered a standard set. And all that fit the criteria above are custom built and take 2-3 weeks for delivery.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Kind of off topic, but after a bunch of research I decided to buy Swift springs. Not for coil-overs, but paired with gr2 struts/shocks. I seriously could not be happier. My car is a daily driver and I didn't really want coilovers (possibly in the future, though).
I was trying to decide between tein s-tech and the swift sports. I'm really glad I went with the swifts and I don't understand why they are not more popular. It's way less bounce than the stock suspension and much, much better handling.
I know this didn't really have much to do with this thread, I just wanted to express my satisfaction with Swift.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I still dont think you understand what you are saying. The lack of technical knowledge about the car, suspension geometry and how BC manufactures their coilovers is clear. Sort of remind me of Will P

I apologize about the dumbass comment. After reading about you asking for an OEM bumper that was only available on the 02-03 and then making the comment about camber plates on a shock tower with less than .5" of clearance. These are very basic questions that shouldnt need to be asked.

I'm not sure whether you met up with Edmun and snapped those pictures or how the article was written but by all means, swift is the way to go for one reason only, and thats to prevent binding.

Most coilovers use a "progressive style" of spring, which is called a linear step spring. It provides a far better ride than a pure linear spring. It is also the reason why your shock dyno article is flawed. BC has some progressive aspects in their springs. Switching to swift for flat out racing is recommended, and not as expensive as you suggested in your article. BC Racing can install swift springs for $125 each. For 95% of the folks who ride on BCs I dont suggest it. Even I dont need it.

By the way, you can adjust camber by moving the spindle, it's the easiest method on a Sentra. Not extending the LCA, which would rank as the most difficult, after cutting and reinforcing the shock towers like we did. BCs come with a slightly slotted spindle mount for camber.
I dont know who Will is I don't know who Edmun is. I dont think you read the writeup. I can't find the bumper what is wrong with that. Yes I am fairly new to the Sentra market in fact I just bought one but I have owned one before. I'm here litterally to make my car look nicer. What else is a forum for. Obviously I'm not here to waste my time reading your threads, although the videos are pretty cool. I just made a short comment about coilovers. On the track am I really going to mess with the spindle and guess what the camber setting is. NO. If Im at the track I will adjust camber with the camber plates. Now this is the case especially with macpherson type suspension because the camber gain through travel is very limited. That is why in my opinion the ease of camber adjustment is very important on these types of cars. Other than camber plate yes a fabrication of adjustable lca's would be smarter because you would have a better idea how how much camber your adding or subtracting with the amount of turns on a double sided screw bolt (watever thats called). On top of that you will be adding track. Now obviously I havent dabbled with the car enough to really understand it yet but Im sure I will even though its just a daily..... well more like something I just bought for the heck of it.

And no coilovers do not use a progressive style of spring. This statement right here tells me a bunch of things. First you've obviously never driven on swift linnear springs. I like these false claims you clearly pulled out of your butt. Did you see my dyno recording of the BC spring. It's a 450lb spring and in the first inch it dynoes at 495. really which part of that is progressive.....or wait are you saying that it starts at the spring rate labelled and goes up from there. What are you talking about. No its not progressive. A progressive spring is visible to the bare eye and yes sometimes rates are progressive but that means its a cheap quality spring. A good quality progressive spring will change in the distance of coils because the material is consistent at all times. I seriously don't feel like I need to defend myself.

THe reason why I know that you've never driven on Swift springs is because the same spring rate Swift spring is much more comfortable than the BC spring. This is not because the rate is softer. It is the frequency of the spring. The reaction rate of the spring is completely different. I wrote all of this already I dont know why Im writing it again. Now there is no point in arguing with me because clearly you are the type of person that claims things without even trying the product before. I have tested over and over again all kinds of different springs for the racers I tune for to use. You can keep blabbering but I do not claim stupid things, I do not say a product is crap when I have not tried it. I will also not say a product is bad if they can be improved (BC). whereever you go you will see people bash BC because they are cheap and Taiwanese. I never claimed they were trash, because unlike you I have tested out good shocks, and I do know the difference between good and bad, because that is all I do TEST, RESEARCH, find results and share it when I feel like it.

Now before you post here again ask BC if their springs are progressive on their coilovers, hell I'll ask BC the same question. because there is no way in hell even they are stupid enough to claim that. And you can run the exact same spring rate as the BC and I gurantee you, that the rid is MUCH more comfortable.

By the way you say your sponsored by BC. Well their ripping you off on the springs. They retail for 99 dollars a spring. so for a set of 4 they are about 400 dollars.

one more thing no point in being stubborn. I hate making you look bad but you clearly have no clue what your talking about. I do suspension tuning for a living.
Like I said I dont even know why I need to argue with you.

none of this is meant to be harsh I will proof read what I write so until you see an edit mark please do not comment on what I say, dislexic sometimes also Not a good writer. LOL

1 - 20 of 39 Posts