A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i installed an air horn on the b15 i keep blowing the 10 amp fuse ..... for the horn now how should i wire this in order to not blow out the fuse or has anyone ever installed an air horn on the b15 hmmm just wondering i have it connected straight to the horn switch unless ill have to connect stock back up and then wire a different switch ? let me know if anyone knows please i want my horn back i just gotta pick up more fuses

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
u put a air horn instead or ur stock horn??? ahah ur running too much power... air horn draws current.. u need to run it to the batt with a switch...and then through the firewall where i drilled a hole for u...
why dont u put ur stock one back on...??

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
maybe it keeps blowin because you need a bigger fuse since it's not the stock horn setup. the 10amp fuse is for the stock horn, if you by a airhorn it should say what fuse to use with it. the current is stronger and thats why your fuse keeps popin. That happend with me with a different feature. Try using a 15amp if it blows then use a 20amp and so on.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
^^^ that too... i would not reccommend a bigger fuse, it may damage ur fuse box if thats not the issue...

F

·
0 Posts
run a relay to the battery? for a horn? wow.

anyway- take it for what its worth Ive had airhorns on my car for over 2 years now with only the higher amp fuse and I didnt damage anything. Everyone I know with airhorns simply change the fuse.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
there is something rong if u keep changing fuses... u shouldnt have to, but thats just me, id try to find the problem instead of replacing fuses all the time... just run a fused line from the fuse itself, if u want to change the fuse quick and easy... or run sraight from the battery with a fused line(20ap or 40 amp.) pm me ill tell u how to do it... its mad easy

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah im gunna run my stock horn back to the horn switch on the steering wheel and when im at work ill have the stuff to run a seprate switch and relay for the air horns ill just use no horn for now only a couple of days lol but thanx guys and yes i read the directions instead of just pulling a plug and play and blowing up my car and it does recomend a 20 amp inline fuse to the relay ill get it to work its loud i was likeing it before i blew the horn the thrid time and i burnt the horn fuse i was like uh oh what i do lol

F

·
0 Posts
SpecBEE said:
there is something rong if u keep changing fuses... u shouldnt have to
uhm lets go back to high school electronics clas for a minute. the fuse is there incase the line is drawing more current than the device needs. If more current is being drawn than what the fuse is rated for, it will break the metal connection so it doesn't burn out the device. The fuse keeps blowing because airhorns require more than 10 amps. If he keeps putting a 10 amp fuse, of course its gonna blow because the device needs more power. :wink:

if you upgrade the device to something that requires a higher current supply, you have to upgrade to a higher amp fuse. its that simple. a horn doesn't draw as much current as say an amp so a new relay just for the horn is pointless.

you guys are turning a simple horn installation into rocket science.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah i hear yah man its a 12 volt horn its supposed to be directly installed to the battery with a inline fuse and relay ill get it i set it up all nice behind my grill looks sweet thats why i dont really wanna rip it out 1 and half hrs of instalation down the drain lol

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
bro u dont gotta tell me, i no this....u r absolutley correct fullah...and im not doubting u...but its shouldnt blow everytime u use it... and if u run a bigger fuse, sometimes the wire heats up opposed to blowing up the unit.. causing fires.. ive seen it happen...

what ever the case may be... its a simple thing, lets not make it so much harder than it is lol :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts