A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So driving the other day i decided to give my car a run throught he gears and it happend. i
i pulled over and i heard a strange noise. it sounds like its knocking from the left right side of the motor so i shut it off.
it had been making strange noises allready as im sure it sucked up a bolt or 2 from the intake manifold
because secondaries no longer open. also it had been smoking at high rpm.

so heres my question. Should i pull the motor and rebuild or am i better off buying a block off someone ?
I do not plan to build it. if i were to rebuild it would be oem drop in and go.
me and a buddy will be doing all the work so no labor charges. what can i expect when i open the block?

Any advice is appreciated.

sentra 1.jpg

·
39,045 Posts
Why didn't you loctite the screws?

Either way, I would say swap for another QR.
That way you are back on the road and during that time, you can rebuild this one as a spare.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i bought the car and it happend literally like 2 days later so when i pulled of the intake manifold 2 of them were allready gone

- - - Updated - - -

also i have another car so it doesnt have to been on the road asap just wanna know what id be better
off doing money wise.

·
39,045 Posts
Money wise : just get another low mileage QR and drop in. (Junk yard)
Mid : Buy a brand new reman engine and drop that in. The car will drive like new.
Expensive : Drop in a brand new reman engine and rebuild the old one for boost later on.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
u bought it 2 days ago and it was already smoking and making noise, but you pressed it anyways and now it's a giant paperweight? :thinking:

take the head off and check the damage before you make any decisions

·
Registered
256 Posts
Doing a VQ swap is about the same cost as buying and installing a reman QR engine yourself, but it is alot more time consuming!

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
VQ swap is less than buying and installing a reman engine yourself, but it is alot more time consuming!
VQ swaps go for about $4500.. Reman QR from Joe is I think $3200 installed or shipped

·
Registered
319 Posts
My motor ships from 2J today, has a 3yr warranty & i did a few upgrades too, Joe is GREAT to deal with

·
39,045 Posts
Congrats on your new engine.

Now rebuild the old one and boost that shyt.....

·
Registered
319 Posts
Congrats on your new engine.

Now rebuild the old one and boost that shyt.....
in time thats the plan - block will go to AEBS

·
Registered
256 Posts
A VQ swap is about $3000-$3500 if you do it yourself, not $4500. The QR reman route will still cost close to the same, but will take about a third of the time to complete yourself. If you hire anyone to do the changeout for you then it will likely cost more!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Personally I would do the swap since the price isn't too far from a QR rebuild and you'll have significantly more power and a nice baseline engine to build. With the VQ you start out with ~220whp instead of the QR's ~146whp.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts