A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

blue smoke when in boost

6K views 60 replies 10 participants last post by  Scrapin 
#1 ·
i've been having this problem for about 2 months now, and it hasnt gotten worse or better. It doesnt smoke when i'm at idle, it doesnt smoke when i'm at partial throttle, it doesnt smoke when i'm crusing. It ONLY throws out a puff of blue smoke everytime i switch into gears while i'm in boost 6psi or higher. I'm not sure if it's the type of bov i have, (apexi dual chamber) thats making it have rich conditions but when i shift i keep an eye on my afr and it goes from normal afr crusing at 14.9 then i punch the gas till it builds boost then i switch the gears and as soon as i let go and punch it to the next gear the afr goes to 11.0 . AFR drops alot in between shifts, then goes back to normal.

another example is when i'm tuning the car it's at 11.5 @WOT but when i do a quick shift to the next gear it drops to low 10's then back to 11.5.

also i've checked my oil and its missing sometimes like if the blue smoke is oil or something.

#4 ·
yea seems like some oil is getting thru the turbo seals at certain rpms thats why at 6psi u dont see any smoke. but when the turbo hits higher rpms u get a lil smoke... thats what i think, but i could be wrong :)

is that turbo ball bearing?

#6 · (Edited)
oh man lol, bearings could be going too... thats why i stay away from those things. theyre great give a quick spool and everything BUT u gotta be more careful than a regular turbo. in other words, like cooling time, u gotta let it cool more because of the bearings.

u have oil cooled or oil and water? im assuming just oil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.