A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Yep that's what I doing, I'm measuring the depth of the cylinder from the bottom of it to the top. But I also don't have any pistons to measure for myself. I am aproximating my measurements, but 31.75mm is what is was close to.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yep that's what I doing, I'm measuring the depth of the cylinder from the bottom of it to the top. But I also don't have any pistons to measure for myself. I am aproximating my measurements, but 31.75mm is what is was close to.
I got you. Yeah I'll pop one out if I can and see what depth they are. Hopefully I can find a MM measuring tape or something.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Okay so the calipers should be here today. I'll measure up those pistons before I send the old ones back so we can get a record on here of the correct sizes etc. If you have any links etc to usefull info I can post on the first post so we can try to get this sticky is great thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Sorry for the delay, I've been very busy with work etc and have had no time to work on this stuff. Though I needed the 300 bucks in core charge back for the calipers so I made some time tonight to get them ready to go. Pics and info incoming.

Okay, Here is the boxes the calipers came in, showing the part numbers. There are two different numbers, one for the left and one for the right. They are different so don't order two of the same ones if you get some.

100_2007.jpg

Showing The brand etc, these are reman'ed calipers so don't think you are getting brand spanking new ones from brembo, these are from Centric which is a subdivision of StopTech.

100_2008.jpg

Here, I'll post some pictures of the centric reman'ed units. As you can see in the pictures, they are re-coated with the golden paint and do not include the brembo lettering (easy to find on ebay, just look for red brembo decal). The color isn't exactly the same as the brembo gold. The centric gold is more of a matte color without the flakes etc in the paint. Also you can see that the dings etc from the last time they were rebuilt are still under the paint. It's not like they are brand new etc so I'm not that worried though one has a ding on the mounting bracket that wouldn't let it mount flush so I'm going to have to pull out a file and grind it down to size. Not that big of a deal. The brembo bodies aren't the hardest aluminum for sure. Other than those little things these seem to be awesome calipers for the money, they are already loaded with brand spanking new hardware and the pistons are new as well. Even comes with those posi-quiet pads (economy pads really), but still... they are loaded and ready to rock and roll.

100_2009.jpg 100_2010.jpg 100_2011.jpg 100_2016.jpg 100_2017.jpg 100_2018.jpg 100_2019.jpg

Now for the junk that I purchased from the guy on b15u

100_2012.jpg 100_2013.jpg 100_2015.jpg 100_2020.jpg

As you can see from the previous pictures why I just replaced the whole units other than fixing them. Well here is some more. The only piston that wasn't seized up in the hole where I could get it out. This is one of the outside pistons from the caliper. Sadly this is the only one I could get out and measure with my ruler (sorry, didn't have a micrometer etc). This piston had a width of 42mm by 32mm high. The piston's top was so messed up it was almost impossible to get a completely accurate reading on the top, but it seems that what TeH_PoPPer said about 31.75mm is close so it is not the 29mm short piston, but the 32mm tall piston.

100_2022.jpg 100_2024.jpg 100_2026.jpg

PS: On above pictures, that's how the pistons are seized in the cylinders ... The only one that was fitting flush against the body was the one that popped out. The other ones wouldn't budge and that's how they come. (seller never decided to send me pictures of this one...)
PSS: Yeah, I know that's my blue elementary school ruler... get over it, I'm high tech! lol

Conclusion: Piston size is 42mm X 32mm (can be purchased from stoptech) , The 38mm pistons can be purchased from http://www.oppracing.com/product_display/30943-brembo-oe-brake-caliper-38mm-piston-set/

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Just FYI, techically Centric owns StopTech, Power Slots and other brands. :)

Great info by the way.
Thanks buddy, Yeah I meant to put something like "or the other way around" in there lol.
So far these seem to be pretty nice calipers especially for the price.

So I figure I'll post up some install pictures etc when I get around to getting them on the car. I also have the whole load of stuff. I got everything other than the dust shields for the rear upgrade as well. including the maxima brackets, rotors, pads etc.

I seriously can't wait to get them on.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
So I wanted to update this thread in case anyone uses this as a reference for what they need. So to rebuild my Brembos I ordered 42mm dia. pistons from Rock Auto but they were out of the 38mm. So I ordered the Stoptech pistons from Zeckhausen Racing and got the 38mm dia., 32mm tall piston. I just want to let you know:

DO NOT GET THE 32mm TALL PISTONS. THE PISTONS ARE ACUALLY 29mm SHORT PISONS.

Basically our measurements were incorrect. When I received both sets of pistons, I noticed they were different lengths. I knew the Rock Auto pistons were correct because they were the exact Centric part numbers. Rock Auto eventually notified me that they had the 38mm dia pistons from Centric, so I oredered those. When they came, I compared them to the 42mm dia. pistons, they ended up being the same length :47: Fortunately, they let me return the pistons to Zeckhausen Racing.

tl;dr If you're rebuilding Brembos, buy the pistons directly from Rock Auto. It's cheaper, the correct size and they come from Centric. Don't have to worry about measuring anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I wanted to update this thread in case anyone uses this as a reference for what they need. So to rebuild my Brembos I ordered 42mm dia. pistons from Rock Auto but they were out of the 38mm. So I ordered the Stoptech pistons from Zeckhausen Racing and got the 38mm dia., 32mm tall piston. I just want to let you know:

DO NOT GET THE 32mm TALL PISTONS. THE PISTONS ARE ACUALLY 29mm SHORT PISONS.

Basically our measurements were incorrect. When I received both sets of pistons, I noticed they were different lengths. I knew the Rock Auto pistons were correct because they were the exact Centric part numbers. Rock Auto eventually notified me that they had the 38mm dia pistons from Centric, so I oredered those. When they came, I compared them to the 42mm dia. pistons, they ended up being the same length :47: Fortunately, they let me return the pistons to Zeckhausen Racing.

tl;dr If you're rebuilding Brembos, buy the pistons directly from Rock Auto. It's cheaper, the correct size and they come from Centric. Don't have to worry about measuring anything.
I know this is an old thread but this is exactly what ive been looking for!
i got my hands on a pair of Brembo calipers for my 01 SE and decided to rebuild them as i can only find refurbished ones for one side.
I went with @TeH_PoPPer recommendation and ordered from Rockauto but after receiving them i noticed that they are a bit short, can i still use them?
Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
@Format C:

It looks like the old ones that were in there already were the incorrect pistons. If you bought from RockAuto the 42mm pistons P/N 14642023, and the 38mm pistons P/N 14638054, then you're good to go. When you put them in, they should sit flush with the caliper. They fit perfectly for me.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts