A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... anyone know the best way to get this out? Or if you live in or near the valley in LA I'll pay you cause I'd probably end up doing more damage.

So, after just parts browsing, I realized that the delrin crossmember bushings were on backwards (big lip in the front and small lip in the back). I'm not sure if a shop put them in that way or the previous owner or what but I assumed they were in the right way since that's how they were when I took them off to put in the ES MMIs. It took forever to line up the bushing with the hole and when I finally got it aligned, both sides seemed to be going in well. I then realized the hole for the actual front motor mount went a little too high to fit the bolt through so I started loosening the crossmember bolts and that's when I realized it was basically stuck and then it broke off trying to get it out.:cry:

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Fuck that sucks. Have to drill it out, rethread it, and find a bolt. Its a bitch job.

I also had trouble lining up the bushings correctly. I didnt the first time ans crushed the bushings awkwardly, thankfully no bolt damage.

Sorry for that bad luck it sucks when simple directions arent followed

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ugh I figured that was the only option. I've rethreaded a hole on the subframe on my genesis before but the bolt was able to come out, so not as extensive as this.

Do you know what size drill bit I would use? And what the thread pitch for the tap would be?

Yeah my bushings don't look that great either.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
You pretty much go from small to big. Find a bolt that has the same thread as the new cut.

·
Super Moderator
5,576 Posts
No, stop.... there are extractors you can use.

This is a good reminder to me to buy an auto punch... either way drill a hole big enough for an extractor to bite into it... that will save the tread.

Reactions: Tritton

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dang I was hoping I could use a tap of the same size and use the same size bolt.

Will those extractors still work if it's stripped? It felt pretty stuck in there even with the breaker bar, which is why it probably snapped

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think so. I tried fitting my fingers through the top but I don't know how I would get to it without taking out the radiator.

·
Super Moderator
5,576 Posts
Dang I was hoping I could use a tap of the same size and use the same size bolt.

Will those extractors still work if it's stripped? It felt pretty stuck in there even with the breaker bar, which is why it probably snapped

Maybe not screw extractors pending on how much torque you applied but maybe the tapered extractors. If you threads are stripped that is another issue, better chance it is cross threaded....thread restore first if you can find one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh and I'm going to need left handed drill bits if I'm going to try an extractor right?

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
It sounds like the bolt and threads are stripped to the point of locking. Bye bye threads. I doubt it can be extracted with hopes of saving anything.

·
Super Moderator
5,576 Posts
I have never had these cross member bolt issues, i always fight lining everything up cause of all the solid stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts