A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm having a real fun time trying to replace the crankshaft position sensor on my grandma's 06 Sentra 1.8L.

I've replaced it on mine before but this time around it wouldn't budge and the plastic frame of the sensor broke apart. See the attached photo for what's left.

I was thinking of getting a drill and flex shaft, drilling a hole, threading a bolt in, then trying to pry it out with a crowbar using the head of the bolt.

Any other advice anyone can share? I could really use the help

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,726 Posts
That's a real mess... your suggestion is probably the best method pending space.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so I got it out with the drill and screw method 👍.

Now to get the new one to go in, would it be safe to take a wire brush to the opening? I'm fearful of pushing debris into the engine and oil and if that'll cause serious issues

·
Super Moderator
5,726 Posts
Will be fine if you are just removing corrosion unless you want to stick a rag in the hole

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will be fine if you are just removing corrosion unless you want to stick a rag in the hole
Thanks! Took a wire brush and various dry wipes to clean the bore. Got the sensor in and the cars running again. Appreciate the advice!

I'll attach a picture of the old sensor for reference on the drilling and screwing

Attachments

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
So happy you got that out. The actual hole looks ok It was just rust around it. A thin coat of silicone grease around it and on the flange should be ok for the long run

·
Registered
126 Posts
EEK 😱 that is scary you made out better than me, I would had endured the arduous task of supporting powertain, removing cross member, then hit it with my best shot!!!

-P. Benatar

1 - 9 of 9 Posts