A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO

Borrowed my buddy's 1.8 sentra while my Spec was grounded due to paperwork problems, and I noticed a funny smell. So I says, "Your exhaust is making a funny smell." and without hesitation I hear "Ihaven'tchangedmysparkplugssinceIboughtthecar." MYSTERY SOLVED

Commense the most strenuous and terrible smelling sparkplug changing EVER

Problem: One of the spark plugs rusted into place and snapped off even after using PB blaster and many careful attempts to baby it out and/or rage it out. I had to get a friggen breaker bar on the thing to... bah..... I don't even... just look at the pics

2012-02-17_21-36-03_556.jpg
2012-02-17_21-36-56_133.jpg

It's almost 10pm EST and I am not shitfaced like a stressed out anxiety driven IT professional should be on a Friday night...

Someone
Help

someone tell me what to do

·
Registered
889 Posts
hmm. remove head, drill, tap, and insert matching size plug of newly tapped hole.... just my thought. perhaps someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
190 Posts
put a screwdriver thats slightly smaller in diameter than the broken piece, slam the end with a hammer, remove head, re tap,

·
Registered
190 Posts
idea # 2....find a screwdriver slightly smaller in diameter than the broken piece get it stuck/lodged/divinly attached to the broken piece, drown in liquid wrench/WD-40/ what eva, back out

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
get a ez out,and left handed drill cobalt drill bit and extractor....they got special tools for this situation, i bought a set from snap on for 250, has all the left handed drill bit with extractor.the ford triton always does this...u can have it out in 5minutes

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
searching for screwdriver
will let you all know how it goes

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
get a ez out,and left handed drill cobalt drill bit and extractor....they got special tools for this situation, i bought a set from snap on for 250, has all the left handed drill bit with extractor.the ford triton always does this...u can have it out in 5minutes
yea, you def need an extractor, dont forget after to clean out the top of the piston realllllllyyyyy welll. blow it out, etc.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
screwdriver no good. The last owner over tightened it, and did not use anti seize. This thing is going no where without an extractor. Updates after the break.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Extractor is in. did not have extension for drill. used T bar with a 3/8ths start socket that fit the extractor very snug.
Stripped star socket. F&*% stainless steel. Stores closed. Resume tomorrow.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So. guys. How's everyone?
Me? Pretty bad. Two servers are down, I look strung out and they want my picture for an ID badge, I had to write a seething email to a software company SO POOR that their product installs a registry hive named "Default Company Name", I have a headache, I haven't eaten yet, AND THERE IS A USELESS SENTRA IN MY GARAGE

2012-02-22_13-30-31_851.jpg

So the bit extractor snapped. How routine maintenance has gone so wrong is something I will NEVER understand. I was going to remove the head and heat up the plug's remains from beneath. However my friend wants to remove the engine entirely and rebuild it. If I'm going to be removing this engine, the same one isn't going back in. I have access to an SR20DE from an 01 Sentra 2.0 and would love to house it in my friend's 03 GXE.
My only apprehension is what will/will not be compatible and require additional purchasing.

Can anyone throw me some links?
Will the 5speed manual be the same? (or rather, be compatible)
Wiring harness? Work arounds?

Am I being impractical?

Please advise.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
You'd be opening a can of worms with that one.

Reactions: specv118

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
pull head, send to machine shop, fix head, replace headgasket and other crap while out, reinstall, call it a day.

save yourself more of a headache

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I figured as much, but I needed to hear it from someone else.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
torch with an extractor wouldve been my last resort before, if that failed i would definately pull the head and send it to the local machine shop. get all the hardware necessary to put it all back together in the meantime. and use antiseize on those threads ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
GUYS

So, I'm trying to get this thing out, but hitting the highlighted (and manual-designated) area with air didn't seem to push the cam pin out.
2012-03-06_22-42-28_514.jpg

BUT WAIT. WAIT-THERE IS MORE

2012-03-06_22-43-05_927.jpg

Does anyone else think this looks wrong? Like is the plate from some OTHER car? WTF?! I discovered the engine in this car is not the original one, but as I've been taking it apart, it's clear it was pieced together with very little care.

WHAT DO?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts