A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 04 spec v that I'm gonna start mocking up custom turbo tubing. I plan on having the turbo inline with my exhaust like down by the oil pan, kinda similar to like the sts turbo kits. I only plan on running 7ish psi. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. I'll be adding photos as I go.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
oiling sucks in remote-mounted kits. oil pumps always fail

·
Registered
738 Posts
nothing beats good old gravity to drain a turbo. why? because gravity never fails.

move the battery to the trunk and put the turbo behind the drivers headlight if you want to do a 'custom' turbo kit. plenty of room for a manifold and downpipe that way

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Not trying to kill your dreams or nothing but trust me, I went thru the same thought process u did.. I wanted to throw a turbo right underneath where the shifter mounts cuz there's lots of space there and it'd be hidden.. but then i looked into it and practicality says to just put it in a conventional spot. Cheaper, easier, more reliable, less laggy, more power. All of the above.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not trying to kill your dreams or nothing but trust me, I went thru the same thought process u did.. I wanted to throw a turbo right underneath where the shifter mounts cuz there's lots of space there and it'd be hidden.. but then i looked into it and practicality says to just put it in a conventional spot. Cheaper, easier, more reliable, less laggy, more power. All of the above.
Well I work at a parts store so I get discounts from work and from places around town for where I work. How exactly would it be more laggy and less power? (Not trying to sound like an ass, I just genuinely don't know why.)

·
Registered
750 Posts
looks(more money) vs performance(less money) am I missing something here?

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
More laggy cuz it doesn't have the heat and expanding exhaust gases that it would have being right next to the engine. Which is why log manifolds spool so fast. Less power simply cuz it's more inefficient. It'd likely take a little more boost to make the same power you could on a well fabricated tubular manifold.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
stick with a "off the shelf" setup like treadstone cheaper well made no fuss and for 7psi you dont need the extra work head aches and trouble a "custom kit" will bring.

No to be a dick But if you dont have the knowledge to know why a turbo mounted on a log manifold close to the head is less laggy and spools quicker than a remote mounted set up, Then you shouldnt be trying to fabricate your own kit.

an off the shelf kit is good for 400 WHP with the standard 50 trim turbo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts