A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 Spec v with 190k, no precat, and valve cover has been replaced. I noticed it burned a lot of oil to the point I now add about a quart every 300 miles. It burns a ton during cold start with a lot a smoke out the exhaust and a lot more when you step on the gas. I also noticed that oil was puddling in the intake where the respirator tube is for the engine. Any ideas? Should I rebuild or buy a new engine?

·
Super Moderator
5,309 Posts
It's not going to be from the butterfly screws Zeno.

Start with the PCV valve Op, if that is worn out if will cause a little more oil consumption. Try a different weight oil as well.

Unfortunately these motors are known for burning oil and if you want a idea for a next move you should fo a comp check and a leak down.

When was the last time you checked your coolant?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Why couldn't it be the screws if one or more got loose and scoured the engine walls? I know that causes massive oil consumption, almost always. Unless it's making purely white smoke then maybe headgasket? I assume OP would have seen the milk oil tho.
Not saying it couldn't be the pvc, that would also be a good place to start. But a little bit of oil there in your intake tube is normal which is why people use catch cans.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Nope all piston ring wear and tear.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
That involves lots-o-work. If the cyl walls are scored it needs to be bored 20 over. That requires engine removal and a machine shop. Block disassembly for rings is a huge risk when there is no guarantee. Get a block for $800 and call it a day

·
Registered
498 Posts
Problem is, how do you know youre getting a decent engine tho?

At this day and age, I always recommend rebuilding it. At least then you know whats going into it.

I guess it is a more advanced way of working on a daily, or a beater, but this motor is simple enough to learn on.

How about buy another motor, slam it in, and rebuild the block you got sitting around?

·
Registered
22 Posts
yeah I would Check the pcv valve first it’s only a couple of bucks to replace but it might honestly be the rings cause I’m burning oil as well and form all that I did it just point to the fact that it’s must be the rings yet again my car starts for one time but it wont turn back on unless I let it sit for a while

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
burning oil is normal , anyone who says otherwise is a piece of shit liar. My spec burns about 3or 4 qrts every 3k.
I do run race fuel, and i drive it like i robbed a bank. personally I noticed more oil comsumption after i did my BSR Kit, and Seafoam.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Burning THAT much oil is not normal bruh...

Granted you beat on the bitch, so you set that expectation, not all of us build a beater, some want gas mileage, and minimal maintenance, and that is okay too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Spec V has a similar issue. Over time the oil consumption has gotten progressively worse, to the point that I'm adding a quart every 300 miles. Lots of carbon in the exhaust. Replacing the PCV valve made no difference. So I pulled the Iridium plugs and they were a mess for only having been in there for 15,000 miles. Peered into each cylinder and it is obvious that the oil rings weren't doing their job, especially cylinder 3 (shown). Swap or Rebuild?? Been having sticker shock pricing QR25 engines from salvage yards and nightmares from the JDM scammers. Rebuilding ain't cheap either but the engine I would rebuild is a known quantity.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's not going to be from the butterfly screws Zeno.

Start with the PCV valve Op, if that is worn out if will cause a little more oil consumption. Try a different weight oil as well.

Unfortunately these motors are known for burning oil and if you want a idea for a next move you should fo a comp check and a leak down.

When was the last time you checked your coolant?
If the engine is making good power, the compression and leak-down test won't tell you much.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Honestly. But a 2jr engine. Or head. Thats what i plan on doing once my engine goes. Or if i get cali smog to get off my back. Swap a vq. However i am contemplating selling it and moving on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts