A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday on my way to work, my transmission decided to get stuck in first gear all of a sudden. I was driving for a few minutes completely normally, not pushing the car hard at all. As I came to a stop to turn onto a street, I put the shift lever into first and it went in a tiny bit rough, but nothing alarmingly unusual. As I turned on to the street, it wouldn't shift into second so I just rode out first gear until I could pull into a parking lot, where I later had it towed to a mechanic. Turns out the shift linkage and clutch assembly are fine, there's some sort of internal failure in the transmission that's caused first gear to be stuck. Any ideas of what it could be? Am I better off rebuilding it, or should I get a new transmission? And if I get a new one and all I'm able to find is the 6 speed without the LSD, how easy would it be to swap over my old LSD? Thank you if you're able to help.

·
Super Moderator
5,588 Posts
Our trannies are damn near bullet proof so I doubt the tranny its self is bad and if it is you might want to relearn how to shift...
In reality it is probably the clutch not disengaging all the way from either hydraulic pressure, the clutch fork/throw out bearing or the clutch it self. Tranny has to come out any way so have a clutch on stand by and/or flywheel if you are feeling froggy.

All Spec V b15 trannnies have an LSD for reference

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our trannies are damn near bullet proof so I doubt the tranny its self is bad and if it is you might want to relearn how to shift...
In reality it is probably the clutch not disengaging all the way from either hydraulic pressure, the clutch fork/throw out bearing or the clutch it self. Tranny has to come out any way so have a clutch on stand by and/or flywheel if you are feeling froggy.

All Spec V b15 trannnies have an LSD for reference
It has almost 190k miles and I've only owned it for a few hundred, the first owner may have given it a thrashing. How should I troubleshoot the issues you mentioned, and what would determine me needing a new transmission? I mentioned ones without an LSD because they came in the Altima SE-R and Maxima SE iirc

·
Super Moderator
5,588 Posts
Unfortunately there is no easy answer to it and I only said what I said due to experience, if the clutch doesn't properly disengage then you won't/can't shift at all/properly. If it was shifting fine prior...then I would assume the tranny is fine and from the history of our tranny I have not seen/read a tranny shitting themselves from our platform. If you know how to "float gears", that would be a tell-tale sign.

Do the trannies bolt up between the QR and VQ....I don't remember but I have a 02-03 Maxima tranny in my garage right now....got lucky as it has the LSD in it, I look at it in the morning, either way you are splitting the case and at that point it might be better/easier to replace what ever is broken at that point though. As for the Maxima tranny...its going to depend on it coming from an 04+.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the clutch won't disengage, wouldn't that stop me from rolling around in neutral? When I pulled into the parking spot, I was able drive as I normally would. When I pushed down on the clutch pedal, the rpms would drop as usually and nothing but noise would happen if I hit the gas. Could I be missing something, or does that just rule out the issue of the clutch not disengaging? I'm still new to all of this, this is my first manual car and my first car I have really started wrenching on. I helped out a tiny bit with my dad's YJ Wrangler and some beat to shit 80s or 90s F150, but that was at least 5 or 6 years ago.

·
Super Moderator
5,588 Posts
Going form a gear to neutral is "easy" compared to gear to gear, with that said..if you can start moving the car from second gear from a stop and it won't shift to third or any other gear I would say not the tranny. Like I said there is no easy answer and I troubleshoot an issue for 2-4 months(thread in the tranny section) and it turned out to be a clutch issue and the FSM had no trouble shooting steps for what was going on. Everything you are telling me says clutch espsially with the mileage that high if the original owner didn't say it was replaced. You get a noise when you hit the gas and the rpms drop when you press the gas pedal?

Do take what I'm saying with a grain of salt cause if it is the actual tranny, I and others would want to know about it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You get a noise when you hit the gas and the rpms drop when you press the gas pedal?
By that I meant that when the clutch is in and I press the gas, the only thing that happens is the revs going up like it normally would. As for the revs going down, that's when I'm moving and I press in the clutch, and it happens as it normally would.

·
Super Moderator
5,588 Posts
hmmm...

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Throw out bearing. Pull the trans, replace the clitch, resurface the flywheel or upgrade it and pop in a new t/o bearing do a stainless steel clutch line while you're in there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yesterday on my way to work, my transmission decided to get stuck in first gear all of a sudden. I was driving for a few minutes completely normally, not pushing the car hard at all. As I came to a stop to turn onto a street, I put the shift lever into first and it went in a tiny bit rough, but nothing alarmingly unusual. As I turned on to the street, it wouldn't shift into second so I just rode out first gear until I could pull into a parking lot, where I later had it towed to a mechanic. Turns out the shift linkage and clutch assembly are fine, there's some sort of internal failure in the transmission that's caused first gear to be stuck. Any ideas of what it could be? Am I better off rebuilding it, or should I get a new transmission? And if I get a new one and all I'm able to find is the 6 speed without the LSD, how easy would it be to swap over my old LSD? Thank you if you're able to help.
If your clutch and shift linkage are all fine, then your 1st 2nd synchro is probably toast, did you try 3rd or any other gear?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If your clutch and shift linkage are all fine, then your 1st 2nd synchro is probably toast, did you try 3rd or any other gear?
I'm not able to, once the shift linkage is connected it is impossible to move the lever out of first gear. For now I'm just gonna replace the transmission, maybe I'll rebuild it once I have time and then sell it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm not able to, once the shift linkage is connected it is impossible to move the lever out of first gear. For now I'm just gonna replace the transmission, maybe I'll rebuild it once I have time and then sell it.
Undo the bolts, three tens on top and a bigger one that is a "pin" and remove the shift shaft. Take a look.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Throw out bearing. Pull the trans, replace the clitch, resurface the flywheel or upgrade it and pop in a new t/o bearing do a stainless steel clutch line while you're in there.
On second thought I think you could be right, when I press in the clutch pedal with my hood open I'm able to hear some squeaking, and I know it's not coming from the pedal itself. Would it be worth it to just buy the bearing in hopes that nothing else is wrong with the transmission?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On second thought I think you could be right, when I press in the clutch pedal with my hood open I'm able to hear some squeaking, and I know it's not coming from the pedal itself. Would it be worth it to just buy the bearing in hopes that nothing else is wrong with the transmission?
Obviously, I'd still be replacing the clutch, clutch line, and flywheel

1 - 15 of 15 Posts