Discussion Starter #42
glad you got it

feels so good when it runs
and you did it

hp wise on the dyno
i found no discernible difference between the two types of aircleaners

[there is a difference in sound]

btw
2jr's makes more power because of the expanded MAF section, and this is still there if you convert it to an SRI
imo
So i wont lose power if i cut my intake and make it a SRI?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts

Risking starting a big debate lol......

Yes and no. Depends.

Let's go with possibly sometimes.

Regardless it wouldn't cause anything noticeable in a negative way.

The ECU adjusts according to intake temp. The sensor is in the MAF.
Yes at times that your intake temp might actually be cooler it probably makes a difference. Probably not a noticeable difference honestly.
On the flip side....those intakes get pretty freaking hot. So...I imagine sometimes when that pipe gets heat soaked the intake temps "maybe" aren't actually lower because of the "cold air" aspect since the pipe is so hot anyway.

This is all theoretical without actual testing. But testing has been done before. When the air is actually cooler it would be beneficial. Question is when is it or is it not actually cooler.

If you cut it....cut as little as necessary....meaning leave as much pipe as possible.

I ran mine in the bumper with zero concern and paid attention to water on the road.
Other people are super paranoid about worst case (somewhat justifiably paranoid...some totally justifiably paranoid).

The question is how at risk are you personally. Is the risk worth a couple hp. Probably litteraly no more than a couple. Make choice for yourself.

Like I said.....I never worried. But that's me and not someone else.

And yes it is correct, I think Yogi it was, mentioning why that intake outperforms others. It's not in the "cold air", it is in the MAF housing. It is essentially a mechanical tune. Tricks the ECU into thinking there's a different amount of air than there actually is. Our cars run rich at WOT with no tune. The intake is leaning out WOT and resulting in more power.

That intake may also outperform others tuned vs tuned for other reasons. But it does more so untuned vs untuned for the reason above.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Has anyone ever lost their engine to a true cold air intake?
Yes.

Does that happen very often?
No.

Could it happen to you?
Sure.

Is it likely?
Probably not, but it's obviously possible.

Do "people" think XXRs are junk?
Yes.

Did you break one?
Yes.

Was it your fault or the wheels fault?
Yours.
But for hitting a curb and not for buying XXRs.

If you drive thru huge puddles will it be your fault?
Yes

How likely are you to drive thru huge puddles?
???????????

Will you ever suck water into a short ram?
:lmao: if so.....it won't be the only problem :lmao:
And definitely your fault :lmao:

I personally would never cut a 2j CAI.
I also don't live in Seattle or Florida or anywhere I would have large concern of water high enough to cover the end of that pipe.

·
Registered
19,790 Posts

there may be a 2-3hp difference

however, dragracing
between sri and cai
times varied by hundreds of a sec

and dyno runs
hp was an undiscernable amount on the dyno

weather, humidity and temp caused more variation between runs
both on the dyno and the strip

btw
thats 40 hours on the dyno
and many, many dragstrip runs over 8 months

went thru 4 exhausts, 3 headers, two sri's and a nismo and 2jr cai

[sri was home made,
gave it to the mad Hungarian
but dave still has it
maybe he will pass it on to you]

just my experience

the advertising is mostly hype
imo

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I think im just going to leave the intake the way it is and just put something to cover the cone filter

Thanks for all the information though

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
The difference in power between a sri and cia is like 3hp. In my experience Cai yealds slightly more tq while a sri yields better top end. Again its like MAYBE 3whp. Thats all there is to it. Could even cut the cai to behind the battery or get a water shield.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good! When the fuel injection system or fuel pumps are leaking, your car may turn on but immediately stall. This happens because the combustion process is not working correctly, as fuel won’t reach the combustion chamber so the spark can ignite it along with air.

When this happens, your car may sometimes not last more than a few seconds after starting, and that can be a bother. To check that this is the issue, you’ll need first to take a look at the fuel line that goes from the gas tank to the engine. This line should be in a pristine state.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts