A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

so my 2006 Spec V starts, but it cranks for too long, particularly after the car has warmed up, around the neighborhood of 3-5 seconds.

Any ideas as to what is causing this issue? Currently no check engine light. 119k miles on the clock, stock except for the exhaust manifold which has been replaced with a catless header.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like the two most common causes I found were either a bad headgasket or bad fuel sending unit. Hopefully it's not the headgasket :eek:, but I don't seem to be losing coolant, the coolant is clean, and so is the engine oil. I will keep an eye on those as I drive, to be sure.

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
you didnt pay attention to the ones titled 'fix'? its a known issue, involving fuel being drained back to the tank when you shut it down, simplest fix that worked for me, for years, was just to hesitate a few seconds after you hear the fuel pump start, and then start the car, or you can install a check valve.....

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
you can install a check valve to prevent the fuel flowing backwards
but
much easier imo as shanover mentioned
to

turn on engine touch no pedals wait 30sec start engine

an upgraded fuel pump helps but does not eliminate the flow back problem
just shortens time to start when the line is drained dry

imo

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
I would usually get in and turn the key to run so the dash lights would come on, then fasten my seat belt, adjust mirrors if necessary, then start the engine, it worked well for 5 years on the stock system before I upgraded and went boost

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey shanover and yogi, thanks for the tip about waiting with the key on before starting the car. It does seem to help shorten the start time, but I still feel like its a little bit longer than it should be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts