A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 2008 Sentra SER-SPEC V. Since last Tuesday night, the car will not rev past 1500 RPMS and the check engine light is on. In the past, every once in a while when I get off from a long drive on the high way, the car would feel as if I had no power below 3K rpms. I had it towed to a near by Ford dealer as I have a Ford warranty but it is a different dealer than where I bought it as the other dealer is about 80 miles away. This closer Ford dealer called Nissan. Both companies say they cannot figure out what is specifically wrong with the car. Ford wants me to replace the power distribution box or the Throttle body and see which one fixes the problem. They also said neither is covered under the warranty but I do not believe this. I have the Base care package and the more expensive packages do not say they specifically cover those items. I am not sure I believe anything they say. I bought this car a year ago in February and I have been having issues with the car ever since. They have the car since Tuesday night. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dante

· Premium Member
39,173 Posts
What are the codes?

If you car is under warranty, you should find out what exactly is covered by re-reading your agreement.

You could also try and have the dealership who sold you the warranty tow to car to their shop and have it fixed for FREE there.

· Registered
351 Posts
^ Agreed

· Registered
1,681 Posts
Past 06 I do not know:( a thing.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will ask for the codes today. I have the paper and reread it. It is also here if anyone would like to help check: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/ESPPlanDetail&planName=ESPBaseCare&espPlans=1236173431164

Is the "power distribution box" not the voltage regulator? Is he throttle body not a part of the Intake manifold? I just cannot believe these two huge parts are not covered. They are not specifically mentioned in the other advanced plans. I am also hoping that because it is not a Ford and I have a Ford warranty I'm getting screwed.

I could ask them to tow it to their shop but they wouldn't do that for me when the Air compressor went or when the 3 TPS sensors went the second month of having the car.

· Registered
476 Posts
Any updates on the codes?

The first scenario you described is the all too common bog issue. Very common on 07-08 specs (hell I had it and probably still have it, but I haz the turbo torques now so I don't notice it). The knock sensor is hyperactive. Chances are though you could have some genuine issues though.

What we call the KS mod is to reduce the knock sensors effectiveness by muffling it with dynamat or a rubber washer, etc. Use at your own risk though.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems like it is bogging but I literally have no power. Also, I had to push it on the tow truck because it wouldn't even idle it just kept stalling. They think it is the fuse box AKA the Intelligent Power Distribution Module...

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Guys,

I towed the car to a local mechanic. He doesn't believe the dealer that it is the IPDM. He thinks it is the throttle body however. He said he is 100% sure and if it isn't he will eat the bill. Both of which are two things the Ford dealer was not sure of. I will let you know how I make out.

Thanks!

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 Base Model that does the same thing. On a long drive (more than 2 hours), especially on a hot day; The CVT will overheat and the car will go into a 'limp-mode' - it's a safe mode basically to keep you from blowing up your car - have you noticed that if you pull over, turn it off for a while and let the transaxle cool it will be right as rain again? Mine did not throw a code at all until a 600+ mile trip and then it threw P0744 - a dealership charged me $125 to tell me the CVT had overheated 85 times and needed to be replace for $4999 of course. Robbers. Anyway - if you research that code on the internet you will see a service bulletin about this and also you'll see it's a common problem across Nissan's product line - Muranos get it, so to Altima, Sentra. It's related to a small solenoid that opens an lets the CVT fluid pass through, presumably to cool/lubricate the torque convertor. It malfunctions and throws this code. There should be a re-call there is only one word for it - B#LLshit. You can't buy the solenoid, nor have I been able to yet locate it on the head/transaxle...for now I'm going to change the CVT fluid and drive below 65** until I figure this out....(I'm going to find one at the junkyard and test it)
** I drove my car @65 mph for ~600 miles and it did not malfunction - try it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.