A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so I was out on Okeechobee road racing when all of a sudden I hear a pop and then my engine sounded like there was a paper bag stuck in the engine. So im like WDF. SO i stop and put it on the idk whats it called at this time but the thing u used to change a tire...and i didn't see nothing stuck. So i take it in to the mechanic today and the catalytic converter is blown to shit. it sounds like it has rocks inside. So the guys is like why don't u just take it out and wield a straight pipe on there and finito? SO im like ok...wait ill get back to you.. so should i do it? what do u need the catalytic converter for? what happens if i take it out? i heard i gain hp and save on gas? my friend says he did it to his at a local performance muffler shop for 60 bucks should i do it? thanks.

·
39,082 Posts
Our cars have two cats and depending on the laws in your State, it is illegal to take out even one and in others you can take out both of them.

Ask shops in your area about that.

Also when it comes time for inspection, if it a OBD2 test only, you will be fine. If it a visual, you might have other issues.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
In FL I'm pretty sure you don't have emission laws, as of yet. Lol.

You don't need the cat (is it the one on the mid pipe?). The only thing it does is cleans up the nasty air the engine is dumping out. Another pro of a cat is that it will give your exhaust a nicer sound when you get an after market catback, instead of just straight piping it.

I would go with a straight pipe though to save yourself the money. Get a header while your at it too.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah in fl we have no laws so i guess im just going to do that but i am selling this car anyways im getting a spec v 03 most likely. but for now im straight piping it but do i save gas and gain hp as i am being told?

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I failed mine in TN for no back cat, past the computer test cause of O2 sim, dude was gonna pass it but then his fucking boss came over and failed me! $200 for a uni cat and i was on my way, good to go!

·
Registered
9,641 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
yeah but then how would you eliminate the check engine light and the drive ability of the car without the cat? i would just go with a high flow cat.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts