A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I bought a pre owned 2001 Sentra 1.8 GXE with 120k miles on it. I recently noticed a bubbling / boiling sound while driving (especially when I accelerate from stop). When I popped up the hood, I noticed coolant all over the hood right above the radiator and also around the radiator. I also saw the coolant reservoir completely emplty. I had topped it with fresh coolant 10 days back. What could the problem be? I also noticed that the radiator is a bit loose and I was able to move it sideways with my hands.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

P.S. I had recently changed the oil on it with Mobil1 5W30 fully synthetic. I dont think this has any connection to this leakage. I checked the oil level and color and all seems to be fine there.

·
Premium Member
11,452 Posts
Check for cracks or leaks from the radiator, especially around the plastic/composite part. It might need to be replaced. I assume the cap was on tight?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I would say the radiator cap is tacoed. if you have a radiator pressure tester then test the cap. if not then just replace it. cheap part.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
There should be an obvious leak somewhere. Fill it with water, run it, and see where it comes from.

·
Super Moderator
6,510 Posts
I would go with the cap first, Seal is all cracked to hell more than likely if it is the cap. Other than that radiator would have to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
bubbling boiling sound hmm hope it is not a head gasket. Go to autozone and you can get a loaner cooling system pressure tester it will also test the cap. Start the engine up cold and radiator full and cap off check to see if you see the coolant flowing if so the thermostat is probably stuck open. If you see a constant stream of bubbles that could be a sign of a head gasket. Sometimes people sell cars when they have a blown head gasket so they dont have to do the repairs. The cooling system pressure test is free and will help resolve the issue.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
It's probably a small crack around the backside just under the cap. If you need to replace it you can order a cheap one from carparts.com. to fix the loose mounting issue replace the rubber grommets holding it in place with new ones from the dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts