A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was replacing the slave cylinder on my 06 spec V. While I was tightening the two bolts that hold it down to the transmission, I noticed
they were screwing down with too much resistance, removed them, and saw that the threads were stripping!!

I then screwed them back on as straight as I could and tried to tighten them down. One of the bolts tightened to the torque specification of 22 ft lbs, but the other one does not tighten no matter how much I screw it down.

Any help with this? Will this hold? I don't know how to re-thread screw holes, is it difficult?

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
it can be repaired with a helicoil insert, but that will require some skill, best bet may be to take it to a shop and let them do it for you. if you drive with only one side tight, the slave cylinder will be able to twist, and cause more damage. another method, would be to weld the holes closed and redrill and tap, again, that requires some skill. if you do not know about threading and such, it would be best to let a shop, or one of your more knowledgeable friends take care of it for you

·
Registered
27 Posts
If your not confident, I think what you can do is call a mobile mechanic and see if they can help you out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I need to do a little bit of driving, hopefully nothing will get damaged for a few days, and then I'll take it to a shop to get the holes re-threaded, hopefully it isn't too pricey.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's what sounds like a either or good or a bad idea - using loctite on the stripped thread? While this won't provide any clamping force, it will prevent the screw from breaking loose and hence preventing the slave cylinder from flexing as much. Removing this bolt again may be a huge hassle though. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
If the hole goes all the way through you can use a longer skinner bolt and use a nut on the other end. Best advise should be to take it to a shop if you are unsure of how to do it. Will be from half an hr to an hr labor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts