A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Nissan Sentra SE R Spec V
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have an 02 spec v and ever since I got the car it’s had problems, I had to get so many things replaced but one thing no mechanic can seem to figure out is why my car sounds and feels crunchy going into 3rd gear. I have new shift cables and shift rods I’m not sure what could be causing this. Also when I’m in reverse (reverse lights ON) my car will make a loud grinding/buzzing noise and won’t reverse at all

·
Super Moderator
5,457 Posts
What shift rods were replaced.... that doesn't sound right?

For starters, 3rd gear grind is a notorious issue that most have adjusted there clutch and shift engagements for it, best upgrade to alleviate this is solid shifter bushings, next would be shifter springs.

Out side of that is the proper or better oil viscosity and ensuring it's full, replacement of the clutch line as I'm sure it's the original and lastly make sure you are not jumping the gun on clutch release.

Reverse might need to be played with, I still have issues with it but I have I fully modded shift assembly.

·
6,678 Posts
Try changing the fluid. Also a lot of people might not know before your ownership and inadvertently put in GL5 gear oil in it. The trans only take GL4 fluid. Gl5 will eat the brass and cause grinds and things like that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey I have an 02 spec v and ever since I got the car it’s had problems, I had to get so many things replaced but one thing no mechanic can seem to figure out is why my car sounds and feels crunchy going into 3rd gear. I have new shift cables and shift rods I’m not sure what could be causing this. Why car wont go into gear manual? Visit AutoGuysLand for more info. Also when I’m in reverse (reverse lights ON) my car will make a loud grinding/buzzing noise and won’t reverse at all
You can try to check clutch system for any leaks and also check to lift the gearstick when you shift if that make difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts