A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Nice build. Those older cars are so easy to work with. Slap on a small turbo eco-build style, buff that shit, slam some tires down and pull a tune and youll be on the on the road in no time. You will be glad the B15 is broke haha.
It's already gonna have a turbo. And I can't turn up the power until I get a better rear end. It's a freaking toothpick lol

Stock CA18det with stock everything. Exceeds the rating of the h150 differential

Needs LSD anyway. So....definitely getting a new rear axle eventually. And Rear Disc Brakes!

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Been under those damn trees too long. Damn trees :mad:

This is after sitting only 8 of the months and before the trees. Damn trees :mad:
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20150625_184454_460.jpg

Here's before it sat at all
IMG_20140918_140759_520.jpg

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
Been under those damn trees too long. Damn trees :mad:

This is after sitting only 8 of the months and before the trees. Damn trees :mad:
[/URL][/IMG]
but in the shop now, and you will have more patina when its done, I remember you saying you liked the patina!! Just remember to get it clear coated when you get it back, so that all doesnt go away or turn into cancer

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm not tripping about it. Is what it is at this point. Hopefully it's still cool lookin.

Might look cool might look terrible. Will have to wait and see. Woulda done lots of stuff differently if I had known it would sit this long. Too late now. Whatever I guess. Hopefully it still has cool patina and doesn't just look terrible. A little worried about the roof. Way more rust up there now. Otherwise probably not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
That's awesome Dave. Sweet engine choice. I don't think the CA18DET gets enough love here in the states.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That's awesome Dave. Sweet engine choice. I don't think the CA18DET gets enough love here in the states.
Yep. Practically no love at all. I am not into the S chassis scene. And so to be honest, if I wasn't into Datsuns I probably wouldn't have even knowm what that engine was. It's a popular engine to put on Datsuns in other parts of the world. Particularly New Zealand and Australia.

I like to be different because I am a bit different myself lol. So.....it was never gonna get a typical motor swap. Would have been QR if not this. I probably never would have put an SR in it and i am not a KA fan. And it's really hard to go bigger than 4 cylinders in a b210. It would be QR but......this is way way way cheaper. Just the transmission I would have needed for a QR swap by itself would have cost the total of this CA swap.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Nah the CA18 is a great choice. Good aftermarket support too. KA's do make more power and are torquier but they have some internal issues when you boost them. CA's imo are more reliable.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
YA Dave
congrats

engine is wild
time for the 500 buck paint?
If I had had it here all this time I already would have had it matte cleared. I need to see how it looks NOW and asses the situation. Hopefully I can just buff it and get it cleared. The only thing I intended to actually "fix" was the roof. Idk now. Will have to wait and see.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Update

They've been trying since Friday to get the turbo to clear the steering box. Even cut off the side of the box and welded in sheetmetal to buy a bit more space and still wouldn't clear. They say it's physically impossible. This was unexpected by all of us.

So.....gonna cost some extra money. Gonna need a different manifold. Not sure about going aftermarket or custom yet. I will do whatever is the best combination of cheapest and best lol

·
39,045 Posts
Nah the CA18 is a great choice. Good aftermarket support too. KA's do make more power and are torquier but they have some internal issues when you boost them. CA's imo are more reliable.
What internal issues?

·
39,045 Posts
Were there other similar builds to follow?

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
That sucks. Anybody on forums selling aftermarket manifolds?
Were there other similar builds to follow?
The manifold probablem was a surprise because the build thread we all had looked at didn't mention the problem. And it's the only build thread I have found on this swap into this chassis.

Aftermarket manifolds are really cheap. But the dilemma is the bottom mount ones are going to leave the turbo in basically the same spot, so they probably won't work. And the top mount ones only move the turbo to the center, and with the turbo there I am pretty sure I would have to remove my brake booster.

So.....might need an actual Custom manifold. Stock the turbo is basically on 3&4 and i we need to move it to 1&2. The top mount that puts it by 2&3 might work. It's just unless I removed the booster it would be really close to the master cylinder

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Talked to Joe.

Mounts are done.

Ordered a top mount manifold. Should work... We'll see. Could still end up too close to something. Really don't want to give up power brakes. They're already hardly power brakes lol. Anyway.....the manifolds are super cheap. Only $100. And if it broke I could order a new one. So from that standpoint I like it better than custom.

Working on driveshaft.

Then gotta do a bunch of custom exhaust and charge pipes and water lines and all that stuff.

Anyway.... Some progress.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts