41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
getting there now

i saw a meatier driveshaft laying on the ground by your car
was wondering if that was yours
Pretty sure stock driveshaft still. I mentioned to Joe on the phone how you guys think it's too small. He disagreed and didn't mention using a different one.

The driveshaft will be fine. U-joints maybe I could see not having long life. Regardless the differential is the weak link. It will most likely brweke before anything else does. It's not gonna last forever, but it should last a while unless I abuse the car which I don't plan too. This isn't intended to be a race car of any sorts. My intention for swapping it mostly is so it can keep up with modern traffic and actually travel easily at modern highway speeds. I couldn't stand having to drive it at 9/10 just to cruise down the interstate at 80mph

Eventually I will beef things up so I can have more fun with the car. But for now it's just a fun character filled cruiser. The most fun about that car is the attention it gets and the encounters it creates with random people. Someone always notices the car and wants to talk about it or tell some story about one they knew or owned in the past. It breaks becks left and right on the road. People really like it. And I agree obviously lol

The Sentra is the sports car ;)

·
Registered
8,848 Posts
And the Datsun will be a drift car

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I'm a little worried about something I wasn't as worried about before......

I gotta have a front sway bar. And I am pretty positive it's impossible to use the stock sway bar.

Plan was.....buy a sway bar from Mad Dat in Australia. They have a conversion kit for a 1200 and figured it would work. They didn't used to list parts specifically for the 120y/b210 and now they do and.....that sway bar isn't listed for it. Gonna suck real hard if I can't have a front sway bar!!!! And it's gonna be an expensive ass gamble to buy a sway bar from freaking Australia and then have it not fit.

If I have no sway bar I am gonna regret the way we did this. THERE WAS ANOTHER OPTION. Which was......S13 the entire front suspension and subframe amd brakes. And that would have worked and isn't difficult. Then I would have had a sway bar and all kinds of aftermarket parts options. Hmmmmmmmm I need a sway bar. Kinda far in this to change direction. Think maybe I can still use some S13 stuff with the B210 subframe. Need to look into that. Need to figure out how to have a damn sway bar!

Probably should have just gone S13 swap to begin with. Datsun performance parts have limited choices and are expensive and pretty much all come from overseas. Lots of cheap S13 parts.

Could have bolted up an S13 subframe. Still could I guess. Probably need to talk to Joe about the sway bar thing and maybe I should email Mad Dat about thay sway bar.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Why I am confused is this.....someone once posted the conversion bar didn't fit their b210 (120y)

But it's odd because the B210 bar definitely WILL fit a 1200 so you'd think a 1200 motor swap conversion bar would also fit a b210 but maybe not.

Stock comparison

Conversation bar

View attachment 101689

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Supposedly installing the sway bars is tricky for some reason. So hopefully the person who said it didn't fit just wasn't doing it right. That is possible

Idk what a custom sway bar would cost. But thay surely is an option. Probably relatively expensive.

Of course...... I could stick some ridiculously stiff springs up front and then maybe be alright without a bar. That's an option too. Not ideal. But an option

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm a little worried about something I wasn't as worried about before......

I gotta have a front sway bar. And I am pretty positive it's impossible to use the stock sway bar.

Plan was.....buy a sway bar from Mad Dat in Australia. They have a conversion kit for a 1200 and figured it would work. They didn't used to list parts specifically for the 120y/b210 and now they do and.....that sway bar isn't listed for it. Gonna suck real hard if I can't have a front sway bar!!!! And it's gonna be an expensive ass gamble to buy a sway bar from freaking Australia and then have it not fit.

If I have no sway bar I am gonna regret the way we did this. THERE WAS ANOTHER OPTION. Which was......S13 the entire front suspension and subframe amd brakes. And that would have worked and isn't difficult. Then I would have had a sway bar and all kinds of aftermarket parts options. Hmmmmmmmm I need a sway bar. Kinda far in this to change direction. Think maybe I can still use some S13 stuff with the B210 subframe. Need to look into that. Need to figure out how to have a damn sway bar!

Probably should have just gone S13 swap to begin with. Datsun performance parts have limited choices and are expensive and pretty much all come from overseas. Lots of cheap S13 parts.

Could have bolted up an S13 subframe. Still could I guess. Probably need to talk to Joe about the sway bar thing and maybe I should email Mad Dat about thay sway bar.
Make one dude...it ain't rocket science! (Okay, maybe just a LITTLE bit of rocket science is involved... :cool2:)

You could also try a B210 station wagon bar....

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
If I can figure out somewhere to have one made I'd just do that. I have no way to bend a bar to make one. If you're capable of making one......let me know ;)

They may figure out making the stock bar fit. I told Joe it was important to me to have a bar. Hopefully he remembered. And actually....somewhere around 2j can probably make me one if need be.

I'll have to remember to talk to Joe about it amd see if they even looked into that problem yet. There were bigger problems to deal with first.

He said he was gonna call me several fans ago. Never did. Figure he's busy with Black Friday and Thanksgiving stuff. Amd all the normal business.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Yeah. But not worth mentioning at the moment. Supposedly will be done by March. I'll update sometime between then and now.

Some stuff has been done, various things, but all those things are not 100% complete (except my custom log style turbo manifold)

There's stuff that's done that's still only tacked at the moment etc. A bunch of "mostly done"

- - - Updated - - -

I was there Thursday

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
If my driveshaft that is at the driveshaft shop fits properly. And if they finished welding what isn't and all that fits properly with everything else (should). Then......

Could consider the drivetrain all mounted and fabbed up.

Still needs oil lines and water lines. A radiator. Intercooler setup. All the electrical. Exhaust (currently only about 6" of it lol). Going over my motor and firing it up. Tuning. Couple gauges. Think that's covers it for the most part. Surely forgetting something. Lots to do.

·
39,045 Posts
When I shopped around for an engine rebuild kit for the KA, I saw more CA rebuild kits, both stock and forged.
Keep those old classics alive is my motto.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Whatever happened to this build?
Sent from my BBA100-1 using Tapatalk
Honestly kinda wish you hadnt asked, sore subject....but you did ask, so....

Hasn't been worked on in months since before they moved.

Supposedly because they're waiting on a wiring harness. But there's no charge piping or intercooler, or coolant lines, dont think fuel is hooked up, 6 inches of exhaust, my driveshaft is MIA supposedly was done and test fit but wasnt actually there and still isnt there and supposedly is at driveshaft shop forgotten to get picked up (still), crossmember isn't completely welded up still (said it was finished and was gonna get powdercoated, wasnt finished and still isn't), steering box is out of the car in a tub with its side cut off the casing that supposedly had been plated off and hadn't and still hasn't, yada yada. Plenty to do that has no need for a wiring harness to do it.

Told me stuff was finished that wasnt finished and still is not finished.
Because waiting on a wiring harness he says.

Car just sits untouched. It's tucked back in the corner with Joe's cars. Up in the air above the b13. Been 33&1/2 months.

·
Super Moderator
20,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

·
Super Moderator
5,341 Posts
Saw it in the air with the other cars in the corner, at least it's not outside but also in a position where it can't be easily gotten to.

Never did look at it as I was busy working on mine or waiting.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Update
They've been trying since Friday to get the turbo to clear the steering box. Even cut off the side of the box and welded in sheetmetal to buy a bit more space and still wouldn't clear. They say it's physically impossible. This was unexpected by all of us.
A bit late to comment, but if you drove on the other side of the road like we do here in AUS then the steering box wouldn't be in the way :47:

41 - 58 of 58 Posts