A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So has anyone changed the oem coil packs to like say gm or something like that. I would like to change mine and would like to see what other poeple have done. Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I was hoping to put Ls2 coils on as they have 120 millivolts compared to our 40. I've had two of my oem coil packs go out on me so far. Have you ever taken one apart? We have this dinky little spring that just touches the top of the spark plug. Not that good in my book. If you look at the construction of oem coil packs say of a mustang that have the same poor construction and if you look at a performance series one like Msd they use a whole braided desisn and actually goes over the top of the plug giving it better conductivity. We all know, more spark energy=more safe horsepower. They have dyno series all over the net between stock coils and aftermarket. Take one of ours apart and look for yourself. You'll see what I mean. So I was hoping to see what our three wires did to our coil packs as ls1 or ls2 have 4 wires. I know what the ls1 wires do but not ours. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to revive this, but I had a somewhat related question. Like the guy above, I've had 2 go bad. Searching around online and checking at car-part.com it seems that there is an early production and late production where they switched manufacturers. Are the late production ones less prone to failure and exactly what date did they switch? From what I can tell just by looking at Advance Auto Parts online, there is only one QR listing from '02-'06 so they should be interchangeable. Also, going along the lines of performance, there does seem to be a resistor inline (joins the two springs together). This was discussed in another thread a couple of days ago. Now you could remove the resistor or jump it out to get a little more spark to the plugs, but my guess would be that this would shorten the life of the coil packs even further.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought my spec about 9 months ago and when I bought it it had some issues that I fixed but there are some more. One of them is that I removed the engine cover about a month after I owned the car and I found out that one of my coilpacks is an STI coilpack. I don't know if that is good or bad but out plug works on the STI.
The only thing that I have noticed is that there is a slight miss at about 2000 RPM's. There are other issues with the car so I really havn't looked into that problem yet but I was always curious about the miss. I don't have any codes right now, I had an idle relearn issue and a o2 sensor issue that I fixed when I first got the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought my spec about 9 months ago and when I bought it it had some issues that I fixed but there are some more. One of them is that I removed the engine cover about a month after I owned the car and I found out that one of my coilpacks is an STI coilpack. I don't know if that is good or bad but out plug works on the STI.
The only thing that I have noticed is that there is a slight miss at about 2000 RPM's. There are other issues with the car so I really havn't looked into that problem yet but I was always curious about the miss. I don't have any codes right now, I had an idle relearn issue and a o2 sensor issue that I fixed when I first got the car.
If they have one "STI" coil pack in there, then there's a good chance that another factory one is going bad. They way that things are consitantly manufactured these days (whether it's good or bad), they usually fail about the same time. I would look into changing them all out to see what happens. How did you know that it was a STI coilpack by the way? Is STI printed right on the coil pack? Well, I have to go now and try to fix a POS VW. One thing I will say about Nissans, they are much easier to work on.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
have to make sure that the 3 terminals of the sti plugs are the same with the spec v harness as in power/ground/signal, if not then it can cause ur misfire that your having. Replace that plug with a specv one and check the difference.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Does any one know for sure if the qg coil pack is the same as the qr. I was looking at courtesyparts site and I think they share the same part number.

·
Super Moderator
6,129 Posts
Good thing this popped up as I have never seen this thread and now I'm curious.

I doubt anyone has looked into the STI coil packs and it wouldn't be that hard to find the wiring info.

I did use b16 QR coil packs on mine when it was running, my AFR gauge showed a different reading but I don't remember if it was leaner or richer, pretty sure it was a leaner reading.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Old thread. Ive been looking into QR25DE coil packs, mainly for my renesis engine, There share the same connector, same pinout. Renesis are remote style coils, that burn out ALOT. so much so. that new coils are needed every 20-30K miles, along with wires and plugs. Now a QR25DE coil is "rebuild-able" using the nissan kit. That little resistor would be key to surviving on a renesis, and @20$ to rebuild all 4, plus no wires to replace.Its 200$ for replacement coils(renesis). I'm saying all of this because the D585 GM truck coils are a popular(kinda pricey for a broke baller such as I) and they have a Conversion harness that you can pick up on Flebay for around 35$. that would allow the Much Much stronger D585 coil to work off of the Nissan ECU just fine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Do the audi coil packs work for the qr25de? If so, which ones would I get(like roughly same year?), and do they wire up the same as they do for the vq? I work at advance auto so I could get a really good deal on the coil packs.

·
Super Moderator
6,129 Posts
GTR and VQ37(370 and what ever Infiniti equivalent) coils and the best bang for buck.

Reactions: Jaktin69
1 - 19 of 19 Posts