A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i tried it!

Ill tell you this much, on the street you get a lot of torque getting down to the ground. I was at a stop sign and floored it and the wheels were spinning for a few seconds till it grabbed and when it did I had to hold onto the wheel. Also, it redlines the gear, but it holds the car at redline for like a second before it shifts. On the highway there is no difference, this is a street mod.

Recently on Maxima.org someone posted about a 'drop resistor mod'. When a sensor is disconnected, it allows the full line pressure in the auto tranny which makes shifts faster and more abrupt. I tried this myself and it makes an enormous difference in shift times. Is it harmful to the transmission? Derek Michaels

Full line pressure will be slightly easier on the transmission because it reduces slippage (typically 2-8% for autos) and shift overlap (being in two gears at once when upshifting) due to stronger application forces being directed via the servos to the bands and clutches. This locks up the bands and clutches harder and gives firmer shifts. By reducing slippage, it also decreases the amount of heat produced by the clutches and bands and locks the clutch in the torque converter up harder in the higher gears to increase fuel economy. The heat produced by slippage contributes to wearing out the seals, bands and clutches in an automatic more quickly. However, since the transmission controller is programmed to give full line pressure at wide open throttle, this mod just gives rough shifts at part throttle. It's similar to using an HKS ALC (Automatic Line Controller) box. Other ideas to improve shifting with an auto tranny could be to shim the PL solenoid regulator springs to increase peak pressure or to shim the shift accumulator springs to firm up and speed up the shifts. Or you can just swap in a manual!

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
i dont know how i would feel about holding the rev for a few secs, how does it shift, you ease off the gas? when you race a manual he`ll be long into the next gear before yours slips into the next gear... wat advanatge is there, i read the sentra.net post and i dont see the use for it...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I had this "programmed' into my ECU with UpRev..It'll rev to close to 6500-7000 rpm for me, hang for a sec, then shift..pretty awesome. On daily driving it seems like a night mare, I keep my car under 3k-3500 so I won't build boost up fast and sometimes when revving up a full throttle let go so it won't slam into the next gear....this seems quite hard on DD I take it? its great for WOT, but on 1/3 or 1/2 throttle it doesn't seem to have the tranny liking it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts