A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2016 Nissan Sentra SL
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! New member and also a fairly recent owner of a 2016 Nissan Sentra SL as well. I'm learning how to do my own work on my car and will be attempting my own DIY coolant change in the coming week for the first time. Wanted to ask some questions before I attempt:

- Does the radiator plug below have a petcock plug or is it more like the engine oil plug?

- If it's like a petcock, I want to buy a rubber hose to filter the coolant into the pan better to not create a mess, but I don't know what size hose to buy? What size fits the petcock?

- Is there a specific brand of coolant you guys have used on Sentras before? I was looking at Peak on Amazon, but I heard HOAT coolant is best? If so, what brand? I've also seen brands like Prestone that make coolant that fits all makes and models. I thought coolant had to be specific to the car?

- What size coolant capacity does the 2016 Nissan Sentra SL have? Is it 6.6 liters?

Any information would be great. Also if anyone has a step by step video doing it, would be great. I can't seem to find one. The nearest service center wanted to charge me $200 for this and I just don't have the money. I'm hoping to learn how to do most of my car work on my own one day.

· Registered
688 Posts
Its a petcock valve, but they never work and end up leaking everywhere. Just get a good sized drain pan and catch as much as you can.

Nissan OEM is obviously the best for the application, as that's what it has in it. If you add in a universal coolant the color will look weird, as draining the coolant doesn't actually remove all of what's in there. A large portion of it sits in the engine block and cant drain.

How many miles are on it? Coolant usually lasts quite a while, and unless there is an issue or the PH is waaaaay off, you can usually just leave it be. I was a AA tech at a nissan dealership, half the coolant exchanges we did was on perfectly good coolant, Nissan just has a mileage number they recommend it be changed at.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts