A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, day before the big snow storm in NYC i let these guys put pads on my spec, told the guys i do alot of speeding and dont care about the cost, just get me good pads to match up with the brembos i have in the front. dude gives me a quote of $64 or $86, so i go with the $84 option. I have no clue what this guy put on my car, im talking MAJOR SQUEEKING a week and a half after they have been installeds, i put 800+ miles on these brakes and no matter if its warm, freezing, in snow or rain, these damn things are squeeking. Bad enough im getting smoked by Si's, but to be squeeking when i pull up next to one is not a good look. I am in no way rich, but i like the best of some things like brakes and oil etc..

It should have raised a red flag when it took homeboy 15 minutes to put them on, i dont think the rotors were cut, im no mechanic at ALL but i think i still see the small line the worn pads left. Also, i don't see any dust on my rims, im used to my front rims being pavement black from dust. I think theses dudes gave me the corner store special pads lol.

My question is, with the squeaking, the vibrating during hard stops taking it down from about 110mph to 80mph, and the lack of power, cuz they suck compared to the pads the dealer out on, did i get robbed? or what could be the issue. What should i ask the guy when i get a chance to go there?:thinking:

Im stuck at work, but im gonna send my clueless to life blonde g/f to get them done for me, what should i be looking for, whats the pad size, ceramic or non ceramic, idk. What should be on an 05 spec with brembos

·
Registered
481 Posts
The vibration is warped rotors!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Sounds like cheap pads or you need rotors

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
u need grease. and probably new rotors and pads

thats the only way i would be able to guarantee that the issue goes away.. the vibrating is from the rotors, the squeeking is from the small amount of vibrations between 1. the pad and the clip(caliper) or 2. the pad and the actual pison of the caliper. both are greased when done correctly. i say u need new pads becuz the rotors being warped or bad are gonna wear the pads different compared to a new rotor.. u could probably get by without replacing the pads but i would DEFF grease them no matter what u do

·
Registered
26,965 Posts
yea the fact that it took him 15 minutes to install doesnt mean anything, cheap or expensive brake jobs can be done really quick with the right tools.

as far as the squeaking that comes from behind the pad where it touches the caliper, they sell a lube for it to get rid of the squeaking. it comes with the decent brake pads like bendix.

·
Registered
232 Posts
i make bank on brake jobs, they pay an hour and it takes roughly 20 min to do the front of a crown vic, provided they dont need rotors turned. rotors can usually be bought for the price of turning them.

and you shouldnt be going 110 mph anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ok here it is....cheap brake pads cause squeaking regardless of how well you lube the contact points, it depends what material the pads are made from. Ceramic pads are good for low dust and no noise. AND FOR ALL YOU MECHANICS JUST SLAPPING PADS ON ROTORS WITHOUT MEASURING OR TURNING THE ROTORS YOU DESERVE TO BE TAKEN OUT TO A FIELD AND SHOT. and good brake job takes me at least 30 mins to cut the rotors, lube the slide pins and put everything back together.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i make bank on brake jobs, they pay an hour and it takes roughly 20 min to do the front of a crown vic, provided they dont need rotors turned. rotors can usually be bought for the price of turning them.

and you shouldnt be going 110 mph anyway.
I normally set cruise control on 90mph, i have this thing about getting somewhere as fast as i can lol

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
ok here it is....cheap brake pads cause squeaking regardless of how well you lube the contact points, it depends what material the pads are made from. Ceramic pads are good for low dust and no noise. AND FOR ALL YOU MECHANICS JUST SLAPPING PADS ON ROTORS WITHOUT MEASURING OR TURNING THE ROTORS YOU DESERVE TO BE TAKEN OUT TO A FIELD AND SHOT. and good brake job takes me at least 30 mins to cut the rotors, lube the slide pins and put everything back together.
Good pads can still squeak if you don't grease as well. Also squeaking is not an indicator that something is wrong with the new pads, a cheap shop is going to cut corners to remain cheap.

Also, a shop with a lift/air tools shouldn't have any problem getting it done in no time at all. If they're slow they might have had a guy on each side as well, speeding the process up even more.

It's the reason shops love getting break jobs coming in anyways. 30 minutes of work, book time is 1-2 hours pay.

I agree that the rotors should have been checked...if nothing else that's another part to sell/install and make a little extra money on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts