A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wassup everyone this is marc (sdizzle) and i managed to buy myself the 07 altima 3.5se thinking that it was an automatic. When i went to pick up the car it was a stick. I could have waited another 3 weeks or so for an automatic but I wanted a challenge so i took the car. Now i have driven stick b4 but only for about 20mins. My main problem is getting out of first and of course going up a hill after first i guess i am ok. Anyone have suggestions or ideas how to overcome this? Also if anyone has free time on the weekends to show me i would greatly appreciate it.......

·
Registered
798 Posts
If you are really worried about the hills use the handbrake as your third foot. by pulling up the handbrake u dont have to worry about the car rolling backwards. Just realse the handbrake once the car starts to tug at it, and there you go. You can use this untill you can get use to using the engaging point of the clutch to keep your car still.

edit...you say having a problem with a hill after first...like if your aready driving??

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey dude,

wow youre in some situation lol. yea first gear is the bitch but its not hard once u get some practice.

What you do is SLOWLY lift the clutch up, youll feel the resistance in the pedal as the car starts to grab and slowly move forward. once the car starts moving forward, give it a little gas while releasing ur foot off the clutch pedal.

as for hills, do the same thing, when u see the light about to change to green, while still applying the brake, slowly lift your foot up on the clutch pedal, youll feel the car grab. Then give it gas and the car will climb.

I watched these tutorials before I acutally got a stick car and it helped A LOT.

http://www.standardshift.com/videos.html

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
for the hills i mean when i am at a light with a upward hill i have some trouble...i usually roll back for about 4 seconds before i actually get moving foward or i peel out too hard.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol peeling out is not bad lol nah but the good thing about these new cars is that u dont have to give it gas for it to start moving i mean by letting go of the clutch slowly the car starts to move foward and it wont turn off unlike the old cars or say hondas lol just keep practice i learned how to drive stick in my spec v and i had never and i mean never drivin stick b4 u just watch how my freinds drove their cars and i got it fairly quick so practice is the way to go

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
like Fullah said, just let go of the clutch slowly until u feel the car going forward a little then give it gas.

Remember, you don't want to rev till 2K rpm's or watnot, a good shift into 1st is between 1K and 1.5K. An even better shift would be right above 1K.

If anything, I can teach you, an 07 altima SE would be fun to drive stick.

As for the hills, don't go to them till you get the hang out getting into first cuz by then you'll know where the sweet spot is in the pedal. You want to know your car and know exactly where that spot is you can drive smooth.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
its not hard dude, i drove a few cars that had a manual transmission. All it is just feeling out the clutch, practice a little and you will be fine. But damn practicing on a 07 altima 3.5se is a little much, becareful lol.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
broo those videos help maaad good i just watched them for the fun of it! i usually shift at 2 grand when im casually driving in to first, but gas-ing while letting go at 1 grand while the car idles at .5 is hard in an 06 lol

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
i learned by just finding a side street, and practiced going foward and backward, getting the feel of the clutch as the grabed. so in your situation, try finding a side street with a slight hill, with no cars around, go next to the curb(so your not in the middle of the road) and try there.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Marc one thing veeeery important, DO NOT give it gas with the clutch half way in/out, you'll burn the shiit out of it.

What I do is a blip the gas and right when the rpms are at peak (when the needle is about to come down) you start releasing the clutch and gas it as needed thereafter. This practice and what Charlie (Teckfall) said helps alot on steep hills.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
when i am on a steep hill...i hold brake pull ebrake up...when its time to go...i clutch..gas...i feel car pullin..drop ebrake........its real fun when someone is real close to my ass...

also its not wise to park on inclines or declines...i avoid that as much as i can...don't forget to turn wheel towards curb...if for some reason ebrake gives out..the car will jus roll towards the curb...and not in the street..i am sure u knew that as well...but i didn't at one time...so jus incase some don't.

good luck...if u fry the clutch....jus upgrade it like it did :evil:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts