A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled the engine out of our 2008 Sentra SE-R Spec V 2.5. I messed one of the bolts up on the flywheel but I have that under control, I hope. I have never seen a duel mass flywheel and may have messed it up but trying to pry it off. I didn't pry it far but there is extra space between the two masses. Where there was maybe a heavy 1/16th inch, there is at least 1/8 th inch now. Did I mess the flywheel up?

If I did, would it be advisable to replace with a solid single mass flywheel? Any one have any experience with this set up?

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Almost everyone converts from dual mass to single mass. If you're in there, there's no reason not to. Just bare in mind, you'll need a new sprung clutch system too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to add that there is no pilot shaft bearing nor bushing, the splined pilot shaft goes into the end of the crank shaft.

I just found out, if you go with a solid mass flywheel you will need a springed clutch plate. You really don't want a solid flywheel with a solid none spring clutch disc. Why in the world would they make a springed flywheel instead of just going with what has worked for many many years?

I just read that the special driver needed for the flywheel bolts can't be bought, only Nissan dealer has them and they won't sell them. There has got to be a way to get around this. I took the bolts off but don't use an impact wrench, it will either round the standard driver off or the bolts. You really don't want to mess those bolts up, that are a real pain to get out without a driver and that is putting it mildly.

I am going to see if I can make one of the drivers to fit these weird bolts. You can't go back with hex head bolts as there is no room for a socket. There is a possibility that that bolt may be made with an Allen head but I wouldn't bet on it.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I'm not familiar with b16 so much, but b15 flywheel bolts are an e-torx or spline socket. They can be purchased outside of a dealer.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Almost everyone converts from dual mass to single mass. If you're in there, there's no reason not to. Just bare in mind, you'll need a new sprung clutch system too.

We must have posted at the same time. lol I wonder if the clutch and flywheel from a 2.5 altima will fit?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not familiar with b16 so much, but b15 flywheel bolts are an e-torx or spline socket. They can be purchased outside of a dealer.

I bought one of the e-torx sockets from NAPA and ground the bevel out of the socket. These bolts take a driver instead of a socket.
Flywheel Bolt.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,082 Posts
Snap-on t 50 or 55 plus, I have one laying around.

Image of the flywheel sho were can see the damage.

·
Registered
411 Posts

Everything right there, and going on black friday sale.

Has oem or arp hardware (go ARP) and a 14.lb flywheel. These are for all qr25de, so should be a direct fit.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Snap-on t 50 or 55 plus, I have one laying around.

Image of the flywheel sho were can see the damage.
Cricki, there is no visible damage to the flywheel but here is a photo of the bolt I messed up. I do have two or three of those drivers, they just don't fit like they should, they fit sloppy and are fragile. You have to hold the driver in very tight and dead square to the bolt, if it spins a little, the head of the bolt or driver is shot. DO NOT USE AN IMPACT WRENCH. The crazy part is these casehardened bolt heads are soft and are really easy to mess up.

I have a driver that is too large, so I have the bright idea of grinding the sharp points down to make it fit this bolt. I will see later.

I know I will have to buy new bolts and I have found them for $1.15 each, cheap enough. I was watching a video where a fellow went back with the duel mass flywheel and a springed clutch plate, I wonder how that worked for him.

I also found out that the Altima and other Nissans with a straight stick all have the Duel Mass flywheels.

Late last night I found out how to get the messed up bolt, in the photo below, out. A carbon tip drill bit will drill casehardened anything including wrenches. I have several masonry bits that are carbon tipped, I will reshape one to see how it works. The video I watched last night worked for him. I will post the results so it might help someone else.

Tritton, thank you for the link.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I posted two of the same photos and edited to delete one but it deleted both so here is the photo of the messed up bolt head.
Messed up bolt head.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,082 Posts
It has to be the snap-on driver, all others will be loose/sloppy and will cause damage to the bolt or not work properly unless another manufacturer has created their own version.

·
6,543 Posts
It needs to be a Torx PLUS bit not a regular Torx. TP55 would be my guess for you since Nissan changed that around 04. I have a Matco set that I used and it didn't go wobbly/loose on me. I made a bracket off an old flat steel stock, 2 holes, 1 hole went to the trans, 1 hole on the pressure plate bolt. Bolted the pp bolt then slipped a long bolt to the trans, that held the fw for me and unbolted the fw by hand.

Anyway, you'll need new fw bolts. It doesn't matter if you choose to go back to the dual mass fw or the single mass fw. The main reason why people end up swapping to a single mass is that most machine shops won't resurface dual mass fw and wants you to buy a new set. It's a might as well upgrade kind of thing.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks CrickiKaze, I will for sure check them out at Snapon. I appreciate your help.

MoltenNismo, that is what I plan to do going back with the clutch and flywheel. Thank you for the heads up, I appreciate it.

I got the bolt out of the flywheel today. The carbon tip drill bit worked, it cut the casehardened bolt head off. I did have to resharpen a few times as it chipped the tip of the drill bite a few times, but it got it done. I got a good start on tearing the engine down today. Is there a trick to get the bucket lifters out? I got one but the rest have quite a suction. The cam journals are scored slightly but I can polish them up and they will be ok.

Thanks again fellows I really do appreciate your information, time and help.

Jim
·

·
6,543 Posts
Thanks CrickiKaze, I will for sure check them out at Snapon. I appreciate your help.

MoltenNismo, that is what I plan to do going back with the clutch and flywheel. Thank you for the heads up, I appreciate it.

I got the bolt out of the flywheel today. The carbon tip drill bit worked, it cut the casehardened bolt head off. I did have to resharpen a few times as it chipped the tip of the drill bite a few times, but it got it done. I got a good start on tearing the engine down today. Is there a trick to get the bucket lifters out? I got one but the rest have quite a suction. The cam journals are scored slightly but I can polish them up and they will be ok.

Thanks again fellows I really do appreciate your information, time and help.

Jim
·
I just used a magnet to get mines out to be honest. Can you rotate it? Maybe break the "liquid seal" that's keeping it from coming up?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Here's some light reading on the dual mass flywheel. It's the same as the vq, so it applies.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Good luck man. Blasted bolts are a real bitch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts