A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there are 3 most common brands of dyno, dynojet, mustang and dyno dynamics. They all read differently, two dynos of the same brand next door to each other will also read differently.

There are smoothing and correction factors and of course we don't live in a perfect world, also dynos are just a reference that we use to gauge the performance of our cars, nothing is written in stone.

My question is, shouldn't there be an industry standard of some sort, why can't these expensive machines which we all spend considerable money using from time to time be more "accurate" and which (if any) is the most accurate.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
dynapack's usually read a good bit higher due to them being ran -wheels and tires. Thats a TON of rotational weight removed...Idk if they compensate for that or not.

·
Registered
21,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What about dynapack? That's what my local UpRev tuner has.
Isn't dynapack a hub dyno not a traditional roller?

I listed the most popular roller dynos, ones that I've seen/experienced myself.

In addition to this I believe a roller dyno would be more accurate in terms of WHP numbers, because with a hub dyno you're removing a moving part of the "drivetrain" so to speak and this will only serve to inflate the horsepower figure.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
6,773 Posts
There's just too many things to calculate for. Oil viscousity, tranny fluid, the condition of the clutch...blah blah blah to consider...

·
Registered
21,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
26,965 Posts
There's an old article where they dynoed a ford ranger pick-up on 7 diff dynos and got 7 diff results. I believe it was scc I'm not positive maybe someone can locate it.

·
6,773 Posts
WTH does that have to do with the DYNO? The dyno is in question here, not the car. :wave:
True, I guess I was just saying that for a dyno to be "accurate" they have to consider all of that, in a sense that can "deter" the dyno's ability to provide accurate results.

But if one is comparing 2 dyno's sitting next to each other and dyno'ing 1 car I guess they shouldn't have any sort of % of difference in between if both dyno's correcting factors the same way, or basically saying, to a standard.

·
Registered
21,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
True, I guess I was just saying that for a dyno to be "accurate" they have to consider all of that, in a sense that can "deter" the dyno's ability to provide accurate results.

But if one is comparing 2 dyno's sitting next to each other and dyno'ing 1 car I guess they shouldn't have any sort of % of difference in between if both dyno's correcting factors the same way, or basically saying, to a standard.
Yes we're comparing dyno, not the cars, the dyno should just read, that's it's job, it does not need to take into consideration what mods you have done or what type of oil is in your motor.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I've had my car on 4 different dynos........ I always pull the line off my boost controller to run it at 5 psi as a spot check.... it should read around 268-275, that's about 2-3% variance....... for me that's fine.

·
Registered
21,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From my reading I have also realized that HP is not a defined number either. Like 1Hp is not equal to a specific number, it's actually a range.

The most common definitions equal between 735.5 and 750 watts.

Units called "horsepower" have differing definitions:

• The mechanical horsepower, also known as imperial horsepower, of exactly 550 foot-pounds per second is approximately equivalent to 745.7 watts.
  • The metric horsepower of 75 kgf-m per second is approximately equivalent to 735.499 watts.
  • The boiler horsepower is used for rating steam boilers and is equivalent to 34.5 pounds of water evaporated per hour at 212 degrees Fahrenheit, or 9,809.5 watts.
  • One horsepower for rating electric motors is equal to 746 watts.
  • Continental European electric motors used to have dual ratings, using a conversion rate of 0.735 kW for 1 HP
  • The Pferdestärke PS (German translation of horsepower) is a name for a group of similar power measurements used in Germany around the end of the 19th century, all of about one metric horsepower in size.[2][3]
  • British Royal Automobile Club (RAC) horsepower is one of the tax horsepower systems adopted around Europe which make an estimate based on several engine dimensions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts