A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taken from myspecv.com

http://www.myspecv.com/f/post.php?tid=157504&qid=1727578

WRP claimed ~12whp w/ their manifold spacers...some people didn't believe it, so Travis of FI-R decided to test them himself. Results are below.

Here's the post:

Well, we made a trip up to Thunder Racing (www.thunderracing.com) in Baton Rouge, LA yesterday, in order to dyno test the WRP Intake Manifold Spacer for the QR25DE.. We were greeted by the owner, Jeff, who personally came out to the shop to assist with the dyno operation. Jeff is a VERY credible guy in the LSx world.. building some VERY sick F-body Camaros and C5/C6 Vettes.. and his participation in this matter was an honor.. (Thanks again Jeff..)

Also along for the ride, was Joey Rhodes with Terminal Velocity Racing (www.tvrmotorsports.com). Joey has almost 15 years of tuning/aftermarket experience under his belt.. and builds some very sick Dodge products/vehicles.. Joey assisted in filming.. and did a very excellent job, with the exception of one mess up (wasn't his fault). At one point, towards the end, I brought over the video camera charger, because the battery was getting low.. When he plugged it in.. the camera cycled "off".. and it took him a minute to realize this.. He promptly turned it back on, and you can see how it was an honest mistake.. Other than that foul up.. the video went off without a hitch..

The installation went well.. I was working quickly, and forgot to plug the MAF back in.. as you will see in the video.. Jeff promptly hooked up a generic scan tool, and cleared the MAF low voltage code before proceeding with the dyno pulls.. We wanted to make absolutely sure that the results were clean, with no error.. even though the MAF code would probably not have affected anything.. since it is a self-clearing code.. meaning that if you correct the problem that caused the code.. it will eventually go away on it's own.. and the car will perform like it's supposed to if you correct the problem. Nonetheless, we decided to do it by the book.. just so there would be no arguement as to the fact that the car had a check engine light.

the results

After pulling the car straight onto the dyno when we arrived.. we immediately strapped it down, and made a baseline run.. The tach signal was off, with erratic spikes in the curve due to losing the signal into the dyno.. I switched the lead over and grabbed the signal off of the coil wire instead of the nology wire.. and it solved the problem. We made another pull back to back, with the car HOT.. and we used that as a worst case scenario baseline.

We let the fans run while we installed the spacer/BS'd.. and made 2 more pulls back to back.. the average gain was 1hp and a little under 1wtq.. The curve was exactly the same.. with no shifts in the powerband from the baseline pull.. Honestly.. 1whp/1wtq would be indicative of a temp swing.. or humidity change.. and I would say that the product caused no change in HP/TQ.. The owner and Joey agreed.. and we called it a day..

The bottom line.. I'm not sure where Will got his dyno from.. or what exactly went on, but, there's no way that this spacer makes 10hp.. or even 7hp.. I have waited to make a claim until after I tested it for myself.. and there you have it. This product is a worthless piece of aluminum that makes ZERO power on a N/A Spec V.

Here's a link to a low resolution video..
http://www.chrisgraser.com/WRPIntakeSpacerDynoTest.wmv

PLEASE right click/save.. Chris is hosting this out of kindness..

I WILL (no pun intended) have a high resolution video up tomorrow.. it is a LARGE file (right at 1gb), but, it's worth it.. as it's much more clear, and you can make out numbers/details much better..

Here's a photocopy of the WinPep file that Jeff sent to me this evening.. (I will email Jeff tomorrow, and ask him to resend graphs with the TQ curve shown, as well as engine RPM..) It was late this afternoon.. and we were in a hurry.. But, it gives you an idea of just what this product does (or doesn't do)..

Run 002 is the worst case baseline.. with a hot engine.. no cool down.
Run 003 is after cool down/fans blowing, and spacer install.. (this is the dyno run that we failed to get on camera, because of the video camera charger incident mentioned earlier (and shown in the video).. however, it showed the most promise, since the car had cooled down a bit.. ;)
Run 004 is the 2nd pull (which we have on video) with the spacer installed.. showing a 1hp gain and .75wtq gain..

The 1st run.. I didn't even save.. since the pickup signal went nuts and showed 225wtq.. (also shown in the video)..

Again.. call it what you will.. but, it is my professional opinion that this thing doesn't make any additional power. And it CERTAINLY doesn't make 7-10whp.. There aren't any swings in the graph to show that the product "shifted the power band", as claimed.. and the dyno chart looks NOTHING like WRP's claimed dyno chart for the product..

This dyno chart screams "foul play" to begin with.. mismatched HP/TQ crossover points mean that someone fudged the correction factors.. It is my professional opinion, after conducting my own test.. that the advertised dyno graph is a fake/fraud.. Again, I stated that I would hold off on my opinion until I verified the product for myself.. and I have done JUST that..

Also, as an added bonus... Kevin (one of your own moderators here), tested this spacer today as well... He went in expecting it to make SOMETHING.. and was more optimistic that I was.. However, after installation and dyno runs.. He actually LOST 2whp..

This is on a dyno dynamics.. which is known for being FAR less dramatic when it comes to swings in HP/TQ.. a 2whp loss is substantial on this type of dyno..

I believe, that if conditions were simulated (hot drive up on the dyno, with immediate pulls and no fan sitting in front for 10-15 minutes), that we would have experienced the same thing..

Kevin has dyno video footage as well.. I am just waiting on him to send the file so I can host it.. I will post it up here as soon as it come available..

Again.. thanks for your patience.. It's been a VERY long/expensive day for everyone involved.. This test cost me close to 200 bucks beween dyno cost, food and gas.. not to mention a full day lost in the office/shop. However, I felt that it was warranted/worth it, to expose what I considered (privately) to be a fraudulent product. I kept my tongue until I could personally test it and provide accurate results to back up my claims. Now, once again, I will state my opinion.. WRP's intake spacer is worth ZERO gain.. and the dyno is either fraudulent, or, the machine is broken.

There's my review... and my .02..

*EDIT* Here's a link to the high resolution video (1gb).. http://www.chrisgraser.com/WRPSpacerTest.wmv
The video is not finished uploading.. it's about halfway there... it'll be up and running by morning though..

Travis

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
yea i was reading about it, the owner of myspecv.com and Will, are going to dyno it today in NJ, they will have a uncut dyno video from start to finish.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
i have a different IMS, not sure if it will be same results, the one i have, there's a spacer by the butterflies and another spacer between the block and the intake manifold ports

·
Registered
257 Posts
thank you very much. i've seen them on a few cars and was thinkin bout gettin 1 but now... i think i'll save my $

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
^Watsup Micheal Strahan. Where in Mt Vernon (VA?) do you live.

I was shopping around for this but now I know I wont buy it, especially if there is no change AND even a loss of power.

·
Premium Member
11,452 Posts
^Watsup Micheal Strahan. Where in Mt Vernon (VA?) do you live.

I was shopping around for this but now I know I wont buy it, especially if there is no change AND even a loss of power.
Nice 5 year bump.

I have one for sale if you still want it.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Lol dam. I dont even know how that happened.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts