A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive been having this TPS problems for about 2 years now, in which the car would still be running but the gas pedal would not be responsive, you can push it all the way down , but the throttle just does not move.

2 Weeks ago, i noticed the TPS problems havent happened for about a month and a half, buuuutt, 2 weeks ago, i did realize that new problem was happening. The car at stop signs,lights or just when im at idle would die. Like the rpms, would fall, the car/engine would start to stutter, and then eventually die. SOMETIMES, the idle would correct itself, and just about when you think its about to die, it starts right up, NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. So 3 days ago as im driving the TPS problem comes back...i pull over, and boom i have a check engine light, thinking okay its probably the TPS sensor problem again. Wrong i went the mechanic yesterday and he read the code, and it read that it was the ECU. Now could the TPS not really be the problem? ANd could it have been the ECU the whole time?

My mechanic took a look at my ECU and he said it was dirty and cleaned it out a bit (My mechanic is my uncle, and his shop was full so he had to take me on the side, since i just dropped in with out notice). He examined the car more today and he noticed that my intake might be the problem, my filter was a bit dirty and clogged, and he thinks that the TPS or whatever wasnt getting enough air, or wasnt reading enough air. He also said that my idle was low, and that i had to go back to Nissan to have it re-calibrated 800rpms (im at about 600rpms at idle, and he couldnt set it more so he said go to nissan. He said 700 should be good)So i bought a new filter, and drove it around and the car drives just fine, i have had no stalling, and the TPS usually takes a while it usually kicks in once a weeks so ill have to wait for that.

So does anyone have any clues, im gonna bring it to nissan on my next day off and decided to just bite the bullet and let them look at it and have them fix it. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Sounds like the throttle body to me, but the ECU is definitely a possibilty. No codes though?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jon, ive cleaned it but just with the air shit from the mechanics. I havent really washed it or anything.

executiv, ive changed the Throttle body (its connected to the TPS) 3 times, since ive owned the car. ANd still the same problems. 2 were new, and 1 was used.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
codes?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Couple of months ago it was like 0420 like TPS sensor something. And then just a few day ago it was ECM .... i didnt really get to see the code, since i was in a rush to get to work and i just told him to look at it.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oops then it wasnt 0420, ill try to look up some old threads on which code it was.

Thats what i was thinking the whole , since i changed the TPS 3 times already and still the same problem. I was thinking ECU.

On another note, i was driving the car around today and it seemed fine. No check engine light for a while so i decided to bring it to Nissan for that Recall they wouldnt do because i had the CEL light on a few months back. And they were actually able to do the recall since i didnt have any CEL lights. Cars running a bit better now, no stalling and no TPS, cross your fingers for me guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts