A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to pinpoint where this sound is coming from. It sounds like a loose washer rattling from vibrations but I can't see anything that looks loose. I don't think I've heard it before but I noticed it at idle after driving for about an hour and a half. It's really noticeable at :20. I hope it doesn't have to do with the timing chain.

·
Super Moderator
5,962 Posts
Sounds more like a pulley, idler or tensioner would be my guess.

Reactions: Tritton

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Interesting. Pull the belt off and spin pulleys by hand.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, when I get a chance this week, I'll pull the belt off and check and report back. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay so I got the belt off and there wasn't any noise when I spun the tensioner pulley but there is some play in it.
I ran the car for a few seconds with the belt off and didn't hear the noise. So I'm assuming this is indeed the issue (hopefully).
I'm gonna replace the tensioner and throw on a new belt and see if that fixes it

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, after a few hours of wondering why I couldn't get the new belt on, I finally realized that I needed a longer belt due to the 2JR power steering pulley (installed by previous owner so I had no way of knowing I needed a longer belt). Put the correct sized one on with ease and no more noise!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts