A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up an 02 spec v with a VQ Swap for a good price in NY. Needs some work but thought it'd be a good project. This makes my 6th sentra, but 4th B15.

here's some pics from the for sale ad, so as it was when purchased:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The car came with a bad primary O2 sensor so it misfired the whole drive from NY to VA, mostly at idle. I replaced the sensor but still have a CEL because the O2 wiring was extended for the headers, it's a really common issue on maxima forums. Tried rewiring it a few times, fingers crossed that I finally fixed it.

Other issues/projects:

Dented door (rear passenger) - replaced for $50 from a guy in MD parting out his car

rusted and dented rear fender (rear passenger)

corroded wires going to alternator - fixed (cut out all the corroded wires and soldered in some new ones)

needed tach adapter -- installed

both coolant hoses had rubbing damage and one was leaking - replaced both with red OBX hoses

air filter had a hole -- replaced

trunk leaked water -- fixed

gear oil sucked -- changed

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's some picks of the trunk damage. Water was leaking through the tail lights - it's an 02 with extra holes drilled for 04-06 tail lights. One of the rubber stoppers in the bottom of the trunk was removed to allow the water to effectively drain out of the trunk lol...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I used clear silicone rtv on the backs of the tail lights and cut out a piece of a plastic bottle and sealed it over the trunk hole

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the finished product after I added a Greddy trunk brace and put the battery in the trunk :)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Here's the finished product after I added a Greddy trunk brace and put the battery in the trunk :)

looks good man, like the trunk brace. did you put all the carpet back in and all that??

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's the the body work when it was in process. I replaced the rear passenger door there with a used one in perfect condition, just needed paint. You can kind of see the dent in the first pics I posted, it was pretty large. Fender repair involved sanding out all the rust and rebuilding the fender with bondo. It was pretty smashed up and the metal was actually separated in one part. Anyway, I'm pleased with the results, I'm an amateur at body work as I have little to no experience doing it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
looks good man, like the trunk brace. did you put all the carpet back in and all that??
haha, I'm planning on it, haven't gotten around to it quite yet. I definitely well though, I need to clean this piece too lol

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
haha, I'm planning on it, haven't gotten around to it quite yet. I definitely well though, I need to clean this piece too lol
cool, i was thinking about getting the rear brace, post up some pics with the carpet back in and all that. how does it handle? notice a difference?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I'll do that as soon as I adjust the carpet for the battery. I pulled the brace from my GXE, it looks a lot cleaner without the battery in the way, i just wanted to try a different battery position in this car.

Honestly, my GXE came with Tien's and greddy front and rear strut bars. It felt like a go cart but the gxe is less powerful and has less torque steer and wheel hop so the suspension needs less modification IMO. I haven't noticed a huge difference in the VQ with the trunk brace. The car feels a lot better than it did but I also installed Rob's wheel hop aid around the same time. I haven't really tested the car yet but I'm guessing the trunk brace doesn't make a huge difference in our cars and that maybe a rear sway bar is a better choice, unless you already have one.

cool, i was thinking about getting the rear brace, post up some pics with the carpet back in and all that. how does it handle? notice a difference?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Rear sways def do make a big difference, as do an upgrade to coilovers with adjustable dampers. Car looks good and I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the final paint work. Looks pretty damn good for amateur work.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks man, the bondo gold I used was pretty awesome. I've only used bondo one other time, it was regular cheap bondo, and that shit sucked IMO, it was way harder to work with than the gold was, for me anyway.

You've gotta nice spec v and in VA too. I'm surprised I've never seen it on the road, I'd def remember if I saw it :)

Rear sways def do make a big difference, as do an upgrade to coilovers with adjustable dampers. Car looks good and I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the final paint work. Looks pretty damn good for amateur work.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hey, another Spec owner in VA! Nice car, and great work so far! Too bad all y'all are in Northern VA. I've been trying to get connected with some other VA Spec owners.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey, another Spec owner in VA! Nice car, and great work so far! Too bad all y'all are in Northern VA. I've been trying to get connected with some other VA Spec owners.
Where are you in VA? 757... norfolk?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Thanks man, the bondo gold I used was pretty awesome. I've only used bondo one other time, it was regular cheap bondo, and that shit sucked IMO, it was way harder to work with than the gold was, for me anyway.

You've gotta nice spec v and in VA too. I'm surprised I've never seen it on the road, I'd def remember if I saw it :)
I'm in Herndon and work in Chantilly. It's my daily. I drive it to DC a lot for work, too. Mostly take the toll road. I'm down in Springfield once in a while, too. It's rare I see another Spec and when I do they give no love. Haha. Where in NoVA are you?

1 - 20 of 97 Posts