A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've replaced my blown head gasket with a fel- pro brand gasket but it's leaking again within a day. I saw video of people using Aviation sealer or Permatex sealant on their head gasket does this method works, is there any other tricks in the trade about these B15 head gasket?

·
Super Moderator
6,206 Posts
Check your deck and sleeves, assuming you did everything right and your head was flat upon installation, you may have a cracked sleeve. Similar happened to me and the damage was not easily seen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check your deck and sleeves, assuming you did everything right and your head was flat upon installation, you may have a cracked sleeve. Similar happened to me and the damage was not easily seen.
Come to think of it when I checked it the valves where closed. It didn't overheat or anything but coolant keep creeping into the combustion chamber. Thanks for that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also did you use new head bolts? The FSM requires the OEM bolts to be stretched as a final tq.
I used new bolts but cheap out on them thinking new bolts although cheap should be okay but since then the more I research I realize that might have been a bad idea. Also the gasket I used didn't have the rubbery sealant around the coolant ports which might have contributed to the failure. I'm planning to upgrade the gasket and bolts and go again.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Ugh! Do it right the first time! Have to deck the head and make sure its flat too.

·
6,839 Posts
Those are band aids. No real way to fix it unless you replace the gasket, make sure the surfaces are flat. Also don't forget the o rings off the timing cover. There should be 2 or 3 iirc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those are band aids. No real way to fix it unless you replace the gasket, make sure the surfaces are flat. Also don't forget the o rings off the timing cover. There should be 2 or 3 iirc.
I'm talking about putting sealant on the gasket when you are installing it.

·
Super Moderator
6,206 Posts
I never use it as the gasket already has the coating on it to act as the sealant.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Never ever rtv a hg.

Get a Nissan or Ajusa gasket and Nissan or arp head bolts. Send head to machine shop to get checked because you have to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts