A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally getting around to the screws and the precat. Makes sense to do the screws first. I have a full exhaust and CAI waiting to go on. My backwoods mechanic is taking forever to come help me out. Not sure I have all the tools to take apart the intake manifold and I'm a little afraid I will brake a hose or clip or wire harness etc. Anyone from around Nashville feel like helping me out? I'm more than happy to cover gas and throw ya some beer money ;). Pretty anxious to get my new parts on the car. I could do the rest myself. Just a bit nervous to tackle the intake alone. I live in Bellevue, work in Kingston Springs, and can do it at work (probly can't do it at work on the weekend). I basically just have a ratchet set. No metric wrenches and no deep wall sockets. If the mechanic doesn't show soon, and I don't find some help, I guess I'll go buy some tools and tackle it solo. Never hurts to have more tools.

If I'm being a total b;+¢# about it for no reason, feel free to say so. If I actually don't need wrenches or deep wall sockets....let me know.

EDIT: I now have all necessary tools. Might just go for it tomorrow if my mechanic doesn't show up. I'll post on here if/when it is done. Assistance would be nice though.

·
Premium Member
39,110 Posts
Hey man. Fix the title of your thread.
I thought you had a new type of screw or something that you wanted people to help you test....LOL

·
Premium Member
20,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry

·
Premium Member
20,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey man. Fix the title of your thread.
I thought you had a new type of screw or something that you wanted people to help you test....LOL
LoL. Sorry man. How do I edit the title? I'm new to the forum. I searched around yesterday how to edit a title and couldn't find the answer. I'm just using my phone.

I don't think you can edit titles.
And honestly...newb mistake. This thread should probably be in the Tennessee forum not Troubleshooting & Support. Whoops. Sorry everyone. Maybe I can just delete the thread somehow.

·
Premium Member
39,110 Posts
Don't worry about it pimp.

·
Premium Member
20,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So...mechanic still didn't show up, so I went at it by myself today. Here is what happened....so far.

I followed the write up on the forum. I was at work, so it took me literally all day long. Anything I describe (as far as left or right) is from standing in front of the car.

I got everything apart OK with 1 exception. That last little vacuum line that runs from the manifold (just behind the throttle body) to under the the manifold to some round thing (as the Nissan parts guy described it) tore. It was a pain to get off. It should be taken off Before the manifold is completely unbolted. It is the one there is no picture of. I couldn't get the correct vacuum line to replace it, so I got a slightly larger hose and some of those spring clip things (that are on the coolant lines) to help keep things tight.

State of valves and screws: I have some pics if anyone is interested. The manifold was Shockingly clean for 95k miles. There was some (clean) oil on the driver side valves mostly. All my screws were there thank god. The 1st (far left passenger) valve was a bit loose. It didn't move when I touched it, but you could tell from the gap around it that it wasn't tight. The screws on that valve were less than a full turn loose. But they were loose. Of course the screws fit so snug they are never actually "loose". I applied red loctite (another brand) from passenger to driver side. I wish i had gone the other direction because typicaly the passenger side screws are the ones that come out and i did a better job applying loctite by the end. Hopefully i did a good enough job on the first few. I just put a small drop on the threads.

Anyway....I did notice on some of the screws Nissan may have done a real bad job of attempting to loctite the screws. After I went down the line I then went back to check tightness. After they had set a minute for some reason they would tighten more. Particularly the first valve. I went back and back and back again tightening screws until Whoops....I accidentally STRIPPED A SCREW. No one mentions torque and I figured the tighter the better. It stripped way easier than it should have. I immediately Stopped tightening screws. Obviously the point is that the screws aren't coming back out, so I guess it doesn't matter, but that screw would be a pain to service and looks ugly. Its obvious now its been messed with. Whatever. It stripped so freaking easy. The screws on the first valve had to be re tightened so many times it makes me nervous. Anyone else experience this? I wonder why its like that.

So....it was getting dark and I still have a CAI to install, so car is partially still dismantled. I left the battery and half the air box in the back seat. Luckily I have other vehicles to drive. Everything else is back together. Hope I adequately applied loctite and nothing is wrong. I'm no mechanic. I'm not incompetent, but no mechanic. If anyone else broke a hose, stripped a screw, etc.....share your story and make me feel better.

Probly will be too busy to do the CAI this weekend so I may not start the car until Monday. Hopefully by then my mechanic will show up and do my exhaust for me since I have no ramps or jackstands and am tired of breaking things. Really wish I hadn't broken that hose or striped that screw. At least I didn't strip the threads. Was afraid I would do that. Was careful not to do that. Shows you how easy the screw head stripped. Oh yeah...reminds me, some of the coating had come off the far driver side screw somehow. That was strange too. Like I said....didn't clean the intake. Just wiped off the valves and wiped off the screw threads as best i could dry. There was a lot of oil around the driver side valve. The center valves were dirtiest, but there was the most oil driver side. Again....it was all SHOCKINGLY clean.

PS: worth mentioning I SUPER rarely hit 5k rpm since I found out about the butterfly issue. I found out within the first year I owned the car. Figured, less the valves open, less chance the screws will loosen. Maybe that helped maybe it didn't. Anyways....I'll be crossing 5k A Lot Now ;)

Thanks everybody. I'm sure someone would have helped me eventually. If anyone around Nashville needs help just holler. I won't strip your screws. Might break that damn hose again though. Insainly small hose for what it fits onto. The hardest hose to get off.

I didn't change the gasket. Maybe I should have. Should I have? I didn't know how to tell. I guess I recommend just changing it. I did try to toque the manifold down evenly. Hopefully if my gasket leaks I will hear it or something. What a pain of would be to change now. If you can afford it...I actually recommend just ditching this manifold all together. Get a 2j plenum. 2j All Day ;)

·
Premium Member
20,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quick question too....ya know how you disconnect those coolant lines from the throttle body and some coolant leaks out? Do I need to be concerned about air being trapped in my coolant system now? Might be a dumb question.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
just by pass it i do it.

·
Premium Member
20,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just by pass it i do it.
Is that easy? I noticed some people do that and I don't really know why. I guess I could go searching.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
yeah super only thing you need is a tool to get the spring cramps off and on. Theirs a thread some here that shows you how to do it.

·
Premium Member
20,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah super only thing you need is a tool to get the spring cramps off and on. Theirs a thread some here that shows you how to do it.
Yeah I was just looking how to and it seems pretty easy. Maybe I will do it. I guess it wouldn't hurt and the TB would be cooler.

Do you happen to know the answer to my question about if I need to worry about air in those coolant lines?

- - - Updated - - -

And am I a dumb#$$ for not changing the manifold gasket?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
No but you do lose some coolant if your are (i don't blame you) just bleed the system out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts