A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i need some help figuring out how to go about upgrading my car, what to do first, what i shouldn't even bother with, and what i haven't seen or thought of. I bolded all of the key points in case you don't want to read through it all and ill try to keep it short but i tend to over complicate things sometimes. sorry :thinking:

i have an 03 spec, just bought it and have done no performance mods to it yet besides headers (probably ebay) and some disgusting catback that needs to be replaced, I've also done the butterfly screws, i got in a big legal mess with the title so i wont have it in my name until January 10th but i'm saving all of my money to do some upgrades through winter and then hit it real hard when tax season comes

It currently has a replacement QR from an 03 Altima in it but i honestly don't know the exact mileage. On the receipt for the swap i got with the car it says it had 84k on the replacement motor, but doesn't show the mileage that was on the spec when it was swapped. Right now i'm at 154k, the kid said he only put about 30k on the motor which would leave it at an estimated 110k but i don't really want to take his word for it..with that being said i'm not sure if i want to push its potential too far

The spec is my daily driver but i'm a kid, and i'm a speed addict, so i'm not looking for huge track potential like most of you go after, just want to have a clean, fast car that i can beat all of my friends with and still drive to work and back. (examples of the cars i want to go against are a Mark 4 and a Mark 5 GTI, a rabbit, and an A4... I have already beat an 09 corolla sport, a vette, and a couple hondas :47: )

Here's what I was thinking about doing to it: (performance and aesthetic)

*BSR removal
*pop charger or short ram (i live by the great lakes where its always wet or snowy and dont trust low hung CAI's)
*short shift
*light weight pulleys
*ECU flash
*Secondary Butterfly ECU switch mod
*14lb fly wheel
*stage 1 clutch
*throttle body spacer
*aluminum radiator
*apexi catback (have to look up other systems, i personally dont think any exhaust tip looks good coming from the car so i might just cut it back)

*coil overs
*plastidip paint job (my clear coat is chipping)
*04 rear bumper swap
*projector headlights
*new wheels (flush) probably a 17x9 +25
*yoko580's

I'm sure there's some things i'm forgetting but i was hoping you guys could help tell me what to do first, what is most noticeable, and what i should avoid wasting money on.

I REALLY want to turbo it, but i don't know if it would be smart with the mileage.. do you think i should turbo it and keep it at low boost? or would i need to do a rebuild first..or even a new motor?

i love the idea of dropping a new QR or a VQ into it, but i will be progressively upgrading, although i could just save up, and drop it all in at once later in spring..

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Maybe get a better header first, see how it sounds with the exhaust you have now. Everything else looks like a good order to do things. Skip the throttle body spacer, and add some cams to that list. Maybe get a compression test done, see if this motor is worth putting effort into. Some guys will tell you go straight to a turbo.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the tips, ill look into that exhaust company..do you have a youtube video or a sound clip of some sort i could hear? the header on there now is a 4-2-1 ill look for some sort of markings but itd probably be best for me to do the header when i do the exhaust

what are your opinions on building up a motor on the side and dropping it in when its done? and where is a good place to get a new or even rebuilt low mileage QR.. preferably cheap..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wouldn't bother with a throttle body spacer.

And an American company called BRM Exhaust has been making great Nissan/Infinity exhaust systems using magnaflow components since the mid 90's. I run that and I get compliments on the deep tone, not ricey in the least.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the tips, ill look into that exhaust company..do you have a youtube video or a sound clip of some sort i could hear? the header on there now is a 4-2-1 ill look for some sort of markings but itd probably be best for me to do the header when i do the exhaust

what are your opinions on building up a motor on the side and dropping it in when its done? and where is a good place to get a new or even rebuilt low mileage QR.. preferably cheap..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,113 Posts

And an American company called BRM Exhaust has been making great Nissan/Infinity exhaust systems using magnaflow components since the mid 90's. I run that and I get compliments on the deep tone, not ricey in the least.
What he said. His exhaust sounds amazing. Also do some of the free/cheap mods that are listed on this site such as the wheel hop aid. Throttle coolant bypass. Battery relocate. Also for handling i recommend 2j racing alks and some moderate wheel spacers like a 5mm or 10mm. If coilovers are out of your budget i recommend eibach sportlines and the 2j super control arms. If you want to be pointed in the right direction give my shop a call and i can talk you through everything your aiming for. Facebook.com/massrepairandperformance

·
Registered
1,720 Posts

any sound clips of your exhaust?

@OP , I just replaced my engine with a brand new qr25 from nissan from Joe at 2jr racing, not bad pricing on a brand new engine. I will say this though, it would be in your best interest i believe to do the free mods first, BSR if you keep this engine etc. I'd work on the looks and suspension/wheels etc first. Then engine work, get the car looking good and riding good then make it fast. TURBO asap :)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
turbo is the least of your problems, if you build your car right you dont need boost to make it quick. start out small (intake and exhaust) maybe a cheap header but just keep in mind that if you buy a turbo youre going to lose your intake and header. you can build your engine ready for a turbo for 1500 or less. you will need to get in touch with a guy named joe from 2J Racing Shop he can help you order the parts you need and you can either have them installed or rebuild it yourself. treadstoneperformance.com has a turbo kit on their but joe has the same one on his website for cheap. i saw that you wanted to buy a stage 1 clutch. thats going to be a waste of money also because if you boost your engine any more than 9psi youre going to burn that clutch up. he has a stage 2 clutch/ 14lb light weight flywheel for sale that has astronomical reviews and thats what i would go with! but to start out small he has crankshaft and power steering pulleys for sell. its like 150 for both or something like that. itll help your engine spool quicker and in return you can achieve horsepower quicker. buy the BSR kit which also increases your oil capacity so that has more than one benifit! you can order suspension parts from him like the ALK(Anti Lift Kit) and coil overs. id go with 8k all around to start off with! 17x9 wheels will help because you will have more rubber on the ground! just make sure you roll and pull your fenders so they dont rub. there is alot of potential in this engine and car. it all depends on your budget but you dont want to cheap out and sacrifice performance! there is alot of people on here who can help you out and this website is a great source for knowledge if you get stuck. pm me if you have any more questions

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
i wouldnt see why not. i know the one in virginia lended me one when i had my 300zx. any parts store that does loan a tool should man

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
and i see you want the 02 -03 ecu reflash i recommend cams, springs, and retainers if you want to put up your red line, like JWT S1 CAMs good for n/a set up

·
Registered
602 Posts
i think i have a pretty good basic build more handling than power. just do what i did :) plus some engine work/power mods because i dont have a ton of power mods but im looking into turboing
copy pasted from my showoff page
Performance:
AEM CAI converted to SRI with AEM dryflow Air Filter
XS Basic 4-1 HEader
Stromung 2.25 Catback With Resonator
2JR Power Underdriven Steering Pulley
WRP Underdriven Crank pulley
Throttle Body Bypass mod
Balance Shaft Chain Cut

Suspension, Wheels, Tires:
BC Racing Coilovers w/ 8k Springs
Nismo Rear Sway Bar
Tanabe 4 point lower tie brace
Eibach Front Sway Bar
2JR offset trailing arm bushings
2JR 10mm Antilift kit
TDMi QT link
Robs Wheel hop aid
OEM Brembo Package
Work Emotion CR Kai Matte Gunmetal 17x8 +32 with Hub Centric Rings
Sumitomo HTRZ III in 225/45/17
RotorPros Dimpled/Slotted Rotors
PosiQuiet performance ceramic brake pads
Removed Front Sway Bar

Oils, Plugs, Misc Stuff:
Redline MT-90 Gear Oil
Rotella T6 Synthetic
Purolator PureOne Oil Filter
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
Axxtion Gen 2 Shorth Throw Shifter Kit
2JR Brass Shifter Bushings
Prothane Solid Motor Mounts
Custom radiator mounts

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
from reading your post, your mostly running with your friends and feeling the need for more power to stay with those pesky gti's
but stuck with an old motor
if this is the case? i would really support building the turbo motor on the side and dropping it in.
something in the 280-300hp range is nice on the street, still very usable and you will disappear from those gti's

perhaps for now you can upgrade the chassis a bit to take the greater power
hawk street pads in the brakes
the washer mod on the subframe [antihop mod]
mmi's, or solid mt mounts
poly bushing replacement on rear trailing arms and front a-arms
replace ball joints as well

choose your new exhaust for sound and compatibility with the motor to come

add the pop charger for the sound alone, and use it on the turbo as well, even fits the vq

arrows were for n2o and meth injection

above imo

·
Registered
209 Posts

What length resonator did you go with, and how much did the exhaust cost in total?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thank you guys so much, i wasnt expecting this amount of information haha

i am currently finishing up the BSR removal and while im down there im going to do the knock sensor and the wheel hop aid

i just did a quick read through, ill have to come back after this and go in depth

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.