A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of working on a head gasket job for my daughter's 05 1.8.
I'm trying to line up the chain marks but I'm not sure if these are right.
I have read on the manual that there should be 2 blue chain links, one for the intake and the other for the exhaust side.
A yellow one for the crank mark.
I am able to see 1 blue link only. Is this normal? Also, am in the right spot for TDC based on these pics?
It seems a little off to me. The mark, from what I read, should be in line with the link, not in between links like on the pic.
My guess, I need to remove the bottom end and just do the chain job.
Thoughts? I appreciate your help on this!
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Rim Metalworking

·
Administrator
7,175 Posts
I don't pay attention to the chain markings no matter the scenario, I verify TDC either by pully markinging or other means and set the cams a close as possible to their target locations, install cam gears accordingly ensuring that their markings are in their target locations and verify the chain is taught.

Markings on the chain is nice but a waste of time IMHO.

I will need to look at the FSM to verify your locations on the cam gears....brb.

Reactions: Tritton

·
Administrator
7,175 Posts
Looks like you cams are timed correctly, exhaust I'm 100% on and intake 99% due to angles from your images and from the FSM's but it looks good.

I'm not familiar with the 1.8 so I can't give you any tips/tricks to aid you in verifying except for generic timing stuff.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Its nice on new timing belts imo. Just to be extra sure theres the correct tension between pulleys

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok great! I thought I would need to do the timing chain too...it seemed to me like a tooth had been jumped or something like that. This car was given to us for my daughter...my coworker wanted her to have it and felt I could fix it. This was holding me up a bit but glad to hear I'm not too far off.
The tension is tight at this time on the chain between the two sprockets. Thank you guys for such quick responses and assistance!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts