A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys im coming to you for some help and insight into my problem. its been a brutal month here in Chicago with winter and i work retail so with the holidays i haven't had much time to do anything. So not too long ago white smoke started coming out my tailpipe. Doesnt smell like oil at all, more like exhaust fumes. My other issue is that when i turn on the front defroster i smell oil about 70% of the time. Sometimes it'll go away if im cruising on the eway. my car idles just fine and doesn't drive rough engine wise. no weird noises. no coolant leaks anywhere or coolant in oil. no oil leaks or oil coming from the exhaust. my car is pretty much stock with a sri and previous owner put a fart can on it :facepalm:. car has 145k miles with the dreaded exhaust manifold still there. time and money have prevented a header. oh! the only thing ive noticed is that i did recently get an oil changed a couple months ago using conventional oil instead of high mileage. oil has gone done but nothing alarming.

any help would be greatly appreciated :D

·
Banned
438 Posts
The exhaust is steam, which is normal. The catalytic converter outputs small amounts of water when working correctly, which heats up in the exhaust, escaping as steam.

The oil you're smelling could be anything. It might be a leak that's dripping on the header, might be just factory lubricants that are burning off, who knows.

My car had the exact same smell, I just got used to it. After I drove the piss out of it for a year, that smell went away.

Oh, and get that fucking pre-catalyst off the car!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man! i hope its just steam because its a fairly decent amount of smoke more than what youd expect from a car in the winter.

·
39,045 Posts
Check and make sure that it's condensation/steam and not actual smoke.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
seems to be a mixture of both. from what i read white smoke could mean blown head gasket? my coolant level is perfect, checked radiator and reservoir. no coolant anywhere it should not be either.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Visible white smoke that doesnt evaporate immediatly is coolant. If your smelling oil through the vents, oil is leaking on the exhaust. Maybe not from the bottom but the valve cover is likely leaking. Power steering lines and pump always leak too. You have to really look around.

·
Banned
438 Posts
Post a video, and I'll be able to tell you no problem.

Sus Spec is half right, if the steam/smoke doesn't disappear immediately after leaving the exhaust, and instead forms like a thick fog... that's coolant. I'm betting that's not what you're describing, because if your head gasket was blown, you'd be smokescreening the entire roadway.

As for the oil smell, it doesn't have to be coming from oil dripping on the exhaust. Mine wasn't dripping a single drop, and yet I would have the same smell he describes. It did it from when I got it at 26k miles, all the way until about 36k. I'm guessing I just had to burn off the factory lubricants from where ever they were. Didn't smell it after that.

·
Registered
665 Posts
i have the same thing....doesnt bother me. I know my car doesnt burn oil so im not worried. But i do still have the 1 pre-cat (yes i know...)

I have "more" steam than most other cars, but i only have the 1 cat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a header a cat underneath and cat back exhaust. I was worried at first, I noticed a lot of "steam" coming from the exhaust when the car was cold. I keep an eye on the levels and everything has been fine.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
The exhaust is steam, which is normal. The catalytic converter outputs small amounts of water when working correctly, which heats up in the exhaust, escaping as steam.

The oil you're smelling could be anything. It might be a leak that's dripping on the header, might be just factory lubricants that are burning off, who knows.

My car had the exact same smell, I just got used to it. After I drove the piss out of it for a year, that smell went away.

Oh, and get that fucking pre-catalyst off the car!
Catalytic converter out puts small amounts of water? huh? :laughing:

It sounds like they spilt oil on engine or a small oil leak, run your heat on recirculate cabin air when you use the outside air it comes from the cowling. If it seems like your getting alot of moisture in your car and it has a sweet smell to it you could have a heater core leak. Check your coolant to see what tempature it goes down to. You could have frozen up and have a head gasket leak.

·
Banned
438 Posts
Catalytic converter out puts small amounts of water? huh? :laughing:

It sounds like they spilt oil on engine or a small oil leak, run your heat on recirculate cabin air when you use the outside air it comes from the cowling. If it seems like your getting alot of moisture in your car and it has a sweet smell to it you could have a heater core leak. Check your coolant to see what tempature it goes down to. You could have frozen up and have a head gasket leak.
Yes, as a result of catalyzing the excess hydrocarbons in the exhaust, the reaction produces CO2 and water.

But thanks for being a smart ass little cunt :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts