A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have recommendations my sunroof is making a clicking sound when opening or closing and sometimes needs help, I have it closed now.
My first thought is to change the motor I think it has gears in it similar to window motors.
Any help would be appreciated.

· Registered
Recovering BDSO
56 Posts

Another member just bought and replaced his gears. Link below to his post with some feedback on his experience.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Another member just bought and replaced his gears. Link below to his post with some feedback on his experience.

Thanks for the info, I ordered the gear set. Hope it’s not a difficult getting access to the motor.

· Registered
Recovering BDSO
56 Posts
My B15 doesnt have a sunroof so I dont know the particulars but apparently it involves removing the map light assembly. The best advice I can give is be gentle with whatever plastic you have to pry/pull on.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My B15 doesnt have a sunroof so I dont know the particulars but apparently it involves removing the map light assembly. The best advice I can give is be gentle with whatever plastic you have to pry/pull on.
Thanks, next year my Spec V will be 20 years old, it’s too bad parts are hard to come by. I hope these new metal gears from Essential Tech. work as advertised.

· Registered
6,138 Posts
Nah its easy to replace. Not sure if that ViperVenoms kit or not. It worked tho full open and close?

· Premium Member
25 Posts
Thanks, next year my Spec V will be 20 years old, it’s too bad parts are hard to come by. I hope these new metal gears from Essential Tech. work as advertised.
I'm the one who just replaced them in a 2006 Spec v! He sends instructions that are easy enough to follow. There were some things with the map light console I had to figure out--the worst was that I didn't know about the plastic rivet in the sunglass case. Thankfully, I was able to order a replacement rivet (I think they call it a "standard clip") through my local dealer at $0.98 each. Pulling the motor out was extremely easy once the console was detached.

The metal gears work fine, though they are louder just because they are metal. I was just grateful to have the option.

Nah its easy to replace. Not sure if that ViperVenoms kit or not. It worked tho full open and close?
Yep, that's his. I got the link from an old deal he offered.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ordered a gear kit from Essential Tech, works great (PlaysWithWolve) stated it‘s louder, it is but it works Great. I think it’s more of a different sound to me. My plastic rivet in the sunglass holder died years ago, I replaced it with a clip nut and a 8-32 screw and thinnerman washer. In the last two pictures you can see my clip nut, for my sunglass/map light console.
Camera lens Font Cameras & optics Machine Auto part

Circuit component Passive circuit component Font Hardware programmer Computer hardware

Font Engineering Gas Bicycle part Machine

Auto part Font Engineering Gas Machine

Automotive design Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

1 - 9 of 9 Posts