A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving home the other day, had a horrible sound with crap clutch input...got it home after some finagling from it not wanting to shift into 1st and other gears. Dropped the tranny today as I was working the weekend and found out why I had the weird noise. The tranny side clutch plate's splines sheard off and the engine plate was going to follow soon.
Auto part Clutch part Disc brake Vehicle brake Clutch

Clutch part Auto part Clutch Circle Hardware accessory

Speedometer Gauge Blue Auto part Measuring instrument

Clutch part Auto part Flange Clutch Locking hubs

Looks like I may err on the side of cation (pending time) and locate another trans as well...
Auto part Wheel Tire Automotive wheel system Spoke

Auto part Wheel Automotive wheel system Gear Machine

Reactions: jv04

·
Administrator
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Picked up an 06 tranny today from the yard, madu have to heli coil one hole. Went ahead and ordered 9 lb flywheel just in case.

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
Wow have never seen a clutch fail like that.

·
Administrator
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I will admit that I am partly to blame, those times when I down shifted and didn't have the revs matched but I feel as though those should have been stronger for it not being sprung. Will be calling CM today to see about replacements parts.

·
Administrator
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Going to take the kit up to CM, have them rebuild it...going to have to take time form work as traffic will suck. Will have to drop the flywheel...

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Super common problem in Exedy twins and some others but I haven't heard CC having issues. The solid hubs don't often agree with street driving. The rattle while the clutch is depressed eats away the splines.
Exedy supposedly changed their hub design but I still don't trust them. Interested to see what CC says.

·
Administrator
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Super common problem in Exedy twins and some others but I haven't heard CC having issues. The solid hubs don't often agree with street driving. The rattle while the clutch is depressed eats away the splines.
Exedy supposedly changed their hub design but I still don't trust them. Interested to see what CC says.
This is a Clutch Masters unit.

·
Administrator
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got it back...will go in next weekend as it took most of the day... and my back is not feeling it since I was carrying it on the bike...

·
Administrator
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All put back together with some extras and minus 1, time for the "500 mile" break in.

·
Administrator
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, started slipping a week or 2 ago, hopefully it's just the disks...

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
Daaam forreal??

·
Administrator
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, official slipped more the past 2 days so I can't full throttle it.

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
You drive aggressively/race? What brand I forget? I was also considering the twin disk

·
Administrator
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Daily driving and a lot of stop any go more than anything, shifts not lining up properly with smooth engagement when getting back on the gas or missing the rev match since nothing is sprung. Keep in mind i really shouldn't be dding with a solid kit.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Sadly twins just aren't built for stop and go. The less time you can spend on the clutch pedal the better. It's the very slight rattle back and forth on the splines that destroys them. Hopefully not a spline issue again, but can't say that it's anything I havent seen before

·
Administrator
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not a spline issue this time, I need to buy a regular clutch to mate with the 9lb flywheel instead

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
Ugh. Are twin disks known to be short lived? I had a friend w a 2015ish 5.0 Mustang (Iknow..) with a twin disc and it was gone in a short amount of time.

·
Administrator
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ugh. Are twin disks known to be short lived? I had a friend w a 2015ish 5.0 Mustang (Iknow..) with a twin disc and it was gone in a short amount of time.
No clue, depends if its sprung or not I guess as with mine not being sprung has a shorter life span...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts