A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings people,
First post. As a show of common courtesy, I would introduce myself. Name's Hammad, living in Georgia. Recently bought a used 2006 Sentra 1.8L, had 140k miles on it. The car seems okay, although there are times, after having parked the car for 4-5 hours (doesn't happen after overnight parking) that the crank drags along, but still starts up and barely have to do a second crank to start it up. Also, there are times when the temperature gauge shoots up to maximum hot, but If I tap on of the dashboard, it comes down back to midway. Is there a connection between these two indications? If so, what Is wrong and is there any guide on how to fix it?

Yes, I don't have a lot of experience with cars as we could barely afford one uptil recently. So help me out!

Thank you.

·
Administrator
6,791 Posts
I belive someone with in the last year had a similar issue with the temp not reading properly, do a search and it should come up but I think he may or had to replace the cluster.

Your starting issue might be evap related or crank sensor, had to tell.

Others will be in to assist.

There are link(s) to the Nissan tech manuals called FSM, download your years appropriate section or all of them.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Im not sure if the 1.8 has the coolant temp sensor like the old ones. They used to go bad all the time.

Shoots up as in instantly H?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im not sure if the 1.8 has the coolant temp sensor like the old ones. They used to go bad all the time.

Shoots up as in instantly H?
Not instantly, after a couple of minutes of driving. I was meaning to test for the sensor. I also notice a significant difference in temperature radiator pipes. The pipe from radiator to the engine was much warmer than the return pipe,although i would try to further verifiy it tommorow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I belive someone with in the last year had a similar issue with the temp not reading properly, do a search and it should come up but I think he may or had to replace the cluster.

Your starting issue might be evap related or crank sensor, had to tell.

Others will be in to assist.

There are link(s) to the Nissan tech manuals called FSM, download your years appropriate section or all of them.
Just downloaded a couple of the relevant twch manuals, going to zip through them. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
The lower hose being cold is a good sign that the thermostat is sticking shut. It has coolant right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The lower hose being cold is a good sign that the thermostat is sticking shut. It has coolant right?
sorry for the late reply sir, Yes it has enough coolant.

Also, could a bad coolant temp sensor be the reason for the faulty reading, hesitant start, or both?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: I was observing to see if there is any relation between the hesitant start and the gauge reading, turns out, usually whenever the start is late, the temperature concurrently shoots up aswell.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts