A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was time to replace the coolant and hoses on the 06 Sentra S. Not a big deal, but, those stupid factory hose clamps piss me off. The factory hoses were nice and tight, with the clamps really holding. I removed the clamps and hoses without any issues. When I went to put the new hoses on, the factory squeeze clamps would not open far enough to get over the ridge on any of the connections. I ended up putting the clamp where it belonged, then squeezed open and worked the hose on. The concern is that the clamp is not even close to the closing position on the new hoses. I've heard this is typical as many aftermarket hoses, these are Gates, are slightly thicker than oem.

Any thoughts on this situation? Any particular type of hose clamps would be best to use as replacements? Many say to not use traditional worm drive clamps as they tend to cut into the hose and also put more pressure on one side of the hose and less on the opposite.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
wow, never thought I would see this particular question asked... lol
any auto parts store will sell you the worm screw drive type clamp in the correct size, all you have to do is ask at the counter. Most people will replace the factory spring clamps with worm drive anyway, as the factory clamps can be a pain in the butt to get to work right once they have been removed, or as you stated, the hose is a little thicker.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow, never thought I would see this particular question asked... lol
any auto parts store will sell you the worm screw drive type clamp in the correct size, all you have to do is ask at the counter. Most people will replace the factory spring clamps with worm drive anyway, as the factory clamps can be a pain in the butt to get to work right once they have been removed, or as you stated, the hose is a little thicker.

Well, when you read about the plastic radiator tanks and what worm drive clamps have the potential to do to them, you probably won't use them.

·
Super Moderator
21,695 Posts
Well, when you read about the plastic radiator tanks and what worm drive clamps have the potential to do to them, you probably won't use them.
thats why I now have a koyo radiator, plus, its only really an issue if you severely over tighten them, as with anything else car related, its never as tight as you can make it, just tight enough to not leak

·
Super Moderator
5,594 Posts
Mercedes worm gear hose clamps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts