A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m having a hard time learning how to rev match downshift and honestly have been kinda scared as I don’t want to hurt/burn my clutch or grind a gear.

Its so many thing going on and I tried to doing it from 4th to 3rd but I ended up failing and I added to much gas (revved it up to 4k rpms) and failed completely.I actually think I burned my clutch a little bit from this as I got a subtle burning clutch smell after this.

Can some body here teach me the sequence to get a perfect rev match downshift?? Been driving stick for a year but I have always down shifted by just sticking it to lower gear.

·
Super Moderator
5,414 Posts
We can't teach you, you have to feel it out if it can be done with your rotating assembly. It takes time and timing with quick shifts. Clutch in and blip the throttle and go from there and feel it out.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Sentra Se-R Spec V
122 Posts
Like homeboy said, you have to feel it out. Stock clutch IMO is easy to rev-match especially downshifting so long as you arent going WOT when you're about to shift. The key is in the feathering 🦶

·
6,666 Posts
You def need to feel out the engagement points of the clutch as well as what rpm will match your speed while downshifting...

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
For me its all sound and feel. I can usually match it within perfectly. Its part of practice of driving stick.

Dont think too much about it and dont watch the tach. You have to know the car. A quick blip is all you need. A slight bit more in lower gears, a slight bit less in higher gears.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
it's feel and experience. My dads 2010 2.0l manual with CVT clutch grabs differently than my 2003 Spec-V 6speed manual, it's 2 different beasts that you have to get use to. Everytime I switch between cars I don't get a smooth clutch grab most especially when driving my dad's 2010 CVT sentra. It digs hard right when I release on my dad's car it get's a jumps or retard when shifting up ordown shifting too fast on the clutch compared to my Spec-V which reacts different. With my Spec-V the grab is smooth because I am more use to driving a non CVT. If you up rev when down shifting you can down shift faster with less of a jump but it takes practice, time and experiance.

Don't worry about being a little bit slower slow on the roads while shifting, your foot is not able to shift as fast and smooth as an automatic.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
CVT is only auto?? The newer cars may have a dual mass flywheel with double spring loaded pressure plates and feel different. But should still be able to feel and adapt.

·
Registered
348 Posts
You can get a little bit of a guage in RPM difference between the gears by watching the RPMs as you shift up. As an example, if you shift from 1st to 2nd and your RPMs drop from 4000 to 2500 then 2nd gear 2500 will rev match with 4000 1st gear. You synchros will make up for slight differences and rev matching just helps them out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts