A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been out since March 2012 and served 5 years as an Assault Amphibious Crewman for 5 years in the United States Marine Corps. Been rough being out of the service work wise. Been trying to feel out all my options and am going the security route private and contract basis. Semper Fidelis ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397008870.768562.jpg

·
Registered
428 Posts
I haven't served but thank you for your service. I hope the path you have chosen works out well for you man.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Been out since May 2010. I still miss it. Finally landed a decent job that has nothing to do with my degree.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We will always miss it. I don't know about everyone else, but the service changed my life. My discipline is top notch. What job do you do willms81?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've been in the Army about 3 and a half years. Working to earn my stripes by the end of summer. I'm a track mechanic so although I work with diesel engines, I've learned quite a bit about vehicles in general. Always room to grow though. I plan to stay in and do full 20 yrs but all depends on my body. So far so good. Definitely going to be a culture shock going back to civilian life. Was it a culture shock for those of you who have left the service?

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
We will always miss it. I don't know about everyone else, but the service changed my life. My discipline is top notch. What job do you do willms81?
Work at Bayer Material Sciences as an operator.

Thinking of trying to get into the lab so I can actually use my Biotech degree.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
It's hit or miss.

I've seen guys hit the ground running and others trip and fall as soon as they dropped. Had a buddy pop up in the news for robbing two banks. had another buddy go on to college and get his law degree.

Then there's the job situation. Those with skills that were useful found jobs right away. It def helps to know people and put the feelers out there before you drop papers.

It's a huge leap of faith. If you don't have anything waiting for you, stick it out and stay in.
not many places will give you a pension and take care of you long term like the military.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Oh yeah

Forgot about the assholes who say "they're going back to school".

If you haven't been taking classes while you were in, you're in for a wake up. School fkn sucks. I felt like everyone's dad in class. Bunch of fkn kids who have never seen or done shit running their sucks.

I was never good at math and I'm even shittier at it now.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Fucking truth.

Did two years at a community college, that wasn't bad. Transferred to a 4 year and didn't even last a semester.

Was Infantry in the Army which means to real applicable civilian skills.

Got lucky and ended up where I am now. Found out only reason I was hired was because I was a vet. Had no prior operations experience at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm here in SoCal at the moment bout to drive my car back to Ohio cause I'm transferring to Japan in June. I'm an aviation electronics technician in the Navy. Having a heart attack fixing all my issues on my sucky E-3 pay. Love the car but is it a sponge or what?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Im using my GI Bill in my first year at community college. It aint bad so far

- - - Updated - - -

Getting all my math and English courses knocked out this year thank god. It's what scared me the most

·
Registered
372 Posts
I must be one of the three people here in the Air Force.

I've got 9 years in and became a SATCOM instructor about a year ago.

Prior to that I was a SATCOM crew chief in a mobile comm unit (combat comm just sounds kind of silly).

So yeah, they stationed me in Savannah and that's awesome.

·
Super Moderator
5,666 Posts
OP, background almost reminds me of 29 Palms.

If I pick up Staff then I stay in, either way gonna get my AMP before I get out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts