A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
Recovering BDSO
58 Posts
I just had to replace my transmission but it was the RE4F04B, lasted 289K before giving out. Judging by how it was shifting in the latter part of its life (soft shifts/refusing to kick down) It should have had major service performed if not been overhauled when it hit 200K. Pull the pan and look for metal flake and buildup on the magnets.

· Registered
Recovering BDSO
58 Posts
Now I'm no transmission expert but my general feeling is when the car is lunging into gear, thats valve body wear. Theres a specific known issue with the RE4F04B's as the valve body sealing elements age they will cause the engine to over rev or "flare" before dropping into the next gear. Mine did it before the rebuild, I dont think its a stretch of the imagination to think your valve body needs some attention at 220K. If you wanna get your hands dirty TransGO makes valve body rebuild kits for 3B & 4B's, good luck finding a shop that will do this, out of the dozen shops I called around me only one would install and told me in no uncertain terms it came with ZERO warranty.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts