Before:

Materials:

800 grit sand paper
Shop 3M: 3M Wetordry Sandpaper, 03017, 9 in x 11 in, P400

Rust-Oleum’s Clear Coat

Directions:

Step 1: Sand
Step 2: Paint

I sanded mine. You might not have to. That's the steps I took.

Legalese:

Do this at your own risk. This fix will not last forever but its pretty damn fast to do, so when the time comes to paint again do so. My results are not perfect I need to sand them down a little more to get some more of the spots out.

After:

·
Registered
923 Posts
I tried the clear method before and after a while the clear got yellow. I re did my lights with the Quixx kit the other day and they look brand new now.

I am not saying it won't work, but it might not last too long unfortunately :(

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My ac line came loose one day and sprayed all over the front end and got all over my lights and it liquid ate the plastic on them. This was just a quick fix to get me through the winter lol. I think I am gonna tint the headlights a little.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Nice, but it could be polished out with out clearing them. You would need to wet sand to 2500 and polish, I know this was a quick fix just fyi.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes, a very quick fix. Hopefully some will have a little more time for a fairly permanent fix. I pulled the lights. Had some trouble with the mounting beam on the fender side of the lights. Broke one but no biggie. Still mounts solid. Wet sanded thoroughly with 1500 until the residue turns from yellow to white and then some. Don't use your fingers. (you probably knew that) I made a special small three finger backing pad from a cutup mousepad. With the lights removed you can be very thorough so sand it well. Then I made a little mount on a saw horse and held them firmly for buffing. I used a cotton wheel on a drill with 2 grades of jewelers rouge to bring back a permanent high gloss with no need for wax or sealers. Looks great and will last a few years at least. Just remember to keep the wheel moving and don't generate too much heat in any one place on the lens.

·
Registered
95 Posts
As a professional detailer this is what we do:
Sometimes depending on the condition of your lights u might or not sand... sanding its a bitch so removing your sanding marks can be a problem. If you think u dont need sanding just jump to step 2.

1- SANDING - If you want to sand or need, start wet sanding with the least aggressive paper like someone said 2500 will be fine if that doesnt quite cuts jump to 1000 (Even 800) then 2000 (1000 if you used 800 before then 2000) and finish up with 3000. I know this is a lot of sanding but that way you can deminish your sanding marks from being so agressive..and will b more easy to remove after.
Sand as much old and crappy clear coat you have on the headlight..be carefull with pressure on your fingers..use a backing foam plate or anything in between your hands and paper so you can apply even pressure.

2- COMPOUND - After u sand, clean it and dry it, u will notice it will b cloudy..Grab some compound with a would pad, if you have access to a drill which I recommend use it (it will b easy, fast and best result)..but be carefull with your speed as you can burn the plastic quick, work compound until you dont see much sanding marks...you will notice from the first pass that your headlight are coming clear again. We usually do from 2-4 entire passes to ensure we dont leave any sanding marks, the key here is the heat combine with compound what does the trick to eliminate your sanding marks.

3- POLISH - Now polish will bring that glossy finish to the plastic, u can use a sintetic wool (yellow color) or a foam pad (White most of the time) get some polish and start polishing 1-2 passes will b fine..if u want more shine..give another pass with another softer foam pad just to create heat and even out the glossy (Not necessary)

4- SEAL - By step 3 you are done, but if you dont put a protective coat on it..they will turn yellow in a matter of time (4-6months) so you might wanna grab a plastic sealer...we use OPTICOAT 2.0 which is a coat that can be apply on your plastic healights or paint (dont apply it if you dont know how) apply 2-3 even coats and that sholud give u at least a year if not more of clear headlights. For maintanance and longer protection..wax em one in a while so contaminants wont break your coat as easy and fast. DONT USE CLEANER WAX which will cause ur coat to break sooner, so use a canauba Paste wax.

Ill try to do a quick Vid for you guys to see how we actually do it...if you are interested let me know..so I can give u more Car Care Tips.
Thank you all

1 - 7 of 7 Posts