A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after having my new/used junkyard pigtail go bad after 6 months, I decided that rather than try to track down another junkyard pigtail, I'd try to find some way to fix the connector I already had. After opening it up and removing the pins I found that the way they are designed is pretty crappy (some of you might have noticed more than a few WTB throttle body pigtail threads). There is a small sliver of metal for a contact that is "sprung" just by its orientation. After some time, this "spring" mechanism wears out and if you're like me, your throttle will cut out at the most inopportune times and pop a P2135 code when the connection is broken.
Toy Miniature

Auto part Automotive engine part

I understand its a little hard to see, but if you look closely you can see that tiny little contact in the pin.

My idea was initially to bend the contact a little and be done, but I found it very difficult to bend the contact enough for it to keep its shape and improve the connection to the TB. My second thought was to increase the thickness of the male pins on the throttle body, which will increase the pressure exerted on the contacts in the connector. After studying the connector I found that the "spring" portion is only on the inside edges of the connector pins, so this is where I concentrated on increasing the pin thickness on the TB.



This is the condition of the TB pins before any work was done.

After first applying solder flux, I melted a small amount of solder to the tip of my 40W iron and began to add solder to the inside edge of the first three contacts.

Cameras & optics Camera

Major appliance Home appliance Small appliance Gas Plastic

In the above images, I had not yet thinned out the amount of solder so that the connector would slide on with just the right amount of resistance. As these were, the pin would not slide over the TB pins. I should mention that I had my old TB connector which I took apart, and I was using one pin from it to gauge my progress. I was sorta using it like a feeler gauge. If you can't do this, I'd highly recommend to just put the lightest amount of solder you can, as any change should make a difference if you are having an intermittent problem like I am.

Auto part

After doing the first three pins, I flipped it over and repeated the same procedure with the other three.

Auto part

After cleaning up the flux this is what I ended up with as my finished product. Notice that there really isn't that much solder on there, but damn does it make a difference. Before doing this, you could slip the individual test pin I had on and off with no resistance at all.

I hope this helps somebody who is frustrated like me that no one seems to stock the TB connector. I'm not responsible if you don't know how to solder for shit and melt the fuck out of your TB. Thanks for reading.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,399 Posts
Bump.
Did this yesterday. Since my rpm (green wire was loose in the connector) it triggered that same code. Worked out great. Nice snug fit. Good write up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Great solution!
Total time to complete this job is around 20 minutes, including removing the throttle body and soldering.

Sticky this!
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top