A Nissan Sentra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bumper sag is nothing new on our cars. Some people use zip ties on the inside like I did, some people use different kinds of screws and some people us the rubber band mounting type. Regardless of which one you choose, none really securely hold the bumper in place. When talking to a few people I found out about these Quik-Latch locks. They have various automotive uses but the Quick-latch Minis work great for bumpers. I choose the 1.25" Black version. They do make smaller and larger than that. Nice things about these are they are Made in Merica :usa2:, they hold about 150lbs of force against them, Its all aluminum and stainless hardware and to release you just press a button. Great if you need to get the bumper of in a hurry, like getting towed on to a flat bed. They run about $25 each and you either need two or four depending on what bumpers you are doing. Ok enough of that onto the How To

Product
IMG_20170921_173853.jpg

First you going to detach part of your bumper
IMG_20170921_174029.jpg

Now you want to figure out where you want the latch to sit. This will take some playing around until you find the right placement. You will need to find a drill bit slightly larger than the stud that comes with the latch, and drill a hole. I think I used 1/4"
IMG_20170921_174120.jpg

Install the bolt
IMG_20170921_175019.jpg

Now you have to align the hole for that latch to be dead center to where the stud is. If you screw this up you may end up needing a new bumper, so you have to be pretty damn exact. There are all kinds of methods people recommend. Some say to put tooth paste or some grease on the end of the stud. Other people say use a sharpie etc. Both IMO wont be too exact. So what I did was heat the stud with a torch. Get it pretty hot. Then take the bumper align it how you want it and push the bumper onto the hot stud. it will melt right through and give you a perfect hole to start drilling.
Dont be stupid and burn your paint, and make sure you wipe the melted plastic off the stud before it cools.
IMG_20170921_175133.jpg

Drill the hole for your latch. It needs to be a 3/4" hole. I just used a unibit
IMG_20170921_175223.jpg

Install the latch. The large nut on the back side is a 22mm. and the two nuts on the stud are 7/16. Tighten everything up and check alignment and your done.
IMG_20170921_180130.jpg

·
Registered
8,814 Posts
I paid 5 bucks for each of these one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
21,694 Posts
great write up, and interesting method of finding your starter hole in the bumper, I would have used a tape measure, and somehow supported the bumper to drill a pilot hole thru both at once. only downside to heating the stud, is you may change the temper on it, and either make it more brittle, or softer, depending how long it takes to cool down. Let us know if you have any issues with the stud bending or breaking!

may have to look into these actually, once I get my new tires mounted

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
great write up, and interesting method of finding your starter hole in the bumper, I would have used a tape measure, and somehow supported the bumper to drill a pilot hole thru both at once. only downside to heating the stud, is you may change the temper on it, and either make it more brittle, or softer, depending how long it takes to cool down. Let us know if you have any issues with the stud bending or breaking!

may have to look into these actually, once I get my new tires mounted
It never got that hot. Its stainless and it didnt even change color. I dont if you have ever done body work on a factory bumper but you can melt through them very easy with only a heat gun.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've wondered about just using a 3/4" hole saw bit with a pilot and drilling through the bumper and metal with it still installed if it is in the right position. Good tips though, I have set of four Asian knock off coming from flea bay for $18.00 all silver.

·
Super Moderator
5,058 Posts
This has been done before and don't remember who did the write up but its good to have a fresh thread sometimes. The old write up made use of the hole that was already present (the one below the hole OP drilled) thus the only thing to do was make the hole in the bumper.

Will be doing front and rear on mine.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This has been done before and don't remember who did the write up but its good to have a fresh thread sometimes. The old write up made use of the hole that was already present (the one below the hole OP drilled) thus the only thing to do was make the hole in the bumper.

Will be doing front and rear on mine.

I never found that thread but I saw some other posts talking about it. That holes was too low. on the 04-06 bumper there is a body line. the factory hole put the latch right over it and it would not be able to sit flush. That why I went a little higher so I was above that body line.

·
Super Moderator
5,058 Posts
I never found that thread but I saw some other posts talking about it. That holes was too low. on the 04-06 bumper there is a body line. the factory hole put the latch right over it and it would not be able to sit flush. That why I went a little higher so I was above that body line.
IIRC it was on an 02-03 but I don't remember. Pic may not help with how I see it but I think it would have been close but not enough to tell if the factory used, either way if it works, it works.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nice write up
Thanks

do you think these will still hold the fender [at speed]
if i also remove the inside front fender mount in the wheel well?

trying to mount 26" drag slicks
They say it has 150lbs of holding force. I dont think your gonna have that much pressure pulling the bumper away. You can see in my photo that I cut a section of the fender away because it kept cutting my tires. You can pretty much mount these near the headlight. It might not hold perfect flush but it will lock the bumper down.

·
Registered
8,814 Posts
nice write up
Thanks

do you think these will still hold the fender [at speed]
if i also remove the inside front fender mount in the wheel well?

trying to mount 26" drag slicks
Yogi you seen mine on my car they hold front and back

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts