A Nissan Sentra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought a 2008 SE R Spec V a couple years ago, we had no idea it was a sports car. We are trying to find out how to make the car ride a lot smoother. This car rides like a log wagon. Any suggestions what shocks will give the best ride?

·
Registered
364 Posts
^^ I was gunna say altima lol

...a sentra is not a sports car...by any means... If you think the ride is rough, replace the shocks and struts with new ones and I bet the ride will be better. Old worn shocks and struts do not have the proper compression and rebound rates which can make the ride harsh. Stock is always best, but you can find any number of options on rockauto

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really don't know, this car was a mess mechanically when we bought it. I wish we had know before hand. The little car was perfect, almost like new, until the hood was raised. To make this shorter, I rebuilt the engine and have replaced most all sensors. New catalytic converters and a lot more. It runs great and is one fast little car but man that thing is rough riding.

I will check to see if the springs have been replaced.

·
Registered
118 Posts
MIght be worth to pay a diagnosis fee to a professional to check to see if any wear item would be contributing to a rough ride. If the suspension/bushings/wheel balance/hub assemblies are all in decent enough shape, then:

While not a sports car, the Spec V is a 'sporty' econobox, so if you want something comfortable, it would be more cost-effective to trade it in for something that is built to be more comfortable (like a Corolla or especially a Camry).

One easy, but expensive thing to do is to downsize the wheels so the tires have a bigger sidewall.

·
Super Moderator
6,510 Posts
Looking at the fsm there is a difference in ride height, over half an inch difference from the Spec V compared to the base model. Can't find spring rates yet.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks fellows, I really do appreciate all of your help.

·
6,866 Posts
I remember you rebuilding that engine. The only thing I could suggest is try to find some 16's that will fit over the brakes and get taller tires. Riding on some 45 series vs 55 series may make enough difference for you if you chose to go that route.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I remember you rebuilding that engine. The only thing I could suggest is try to find some 16's that will fit over the brakes and get taller tires. Riding on some 45 series vs 55 series may make enough difference for you if you chose to go that route.
I remember you helped me a lot on that rebuild. I am an old mechanic back in the 60s, a whole different world now days.

I appreciate the suggestion of different tires. The ones we have on there now are Pirelli tires. the ones that came on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts